Sep 13, 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, September 13, two days before the Redskins play the Packers at Lambeau Field.
1. Yesterday I looked at how some quarterbacks who suffered late-season ACL injuries fared early in their comebacks. It is interesting to note that running back Adrian Peterson took a while to get rolling in his comeback from a Christmas Eve 2011 ACL tear. He had just one 100-yard performance in the first six games of the season. But in their seventh game go went for 153 against the Cardinals and had just one sub-100 yard game the rest of the way.
2. A lot of TV viewers saw Robert Griffin III and the Redskins struggle through their season opener against the Eagles. The telecast set a record for an first-week Monday night game on ESPN with an 11.9 rating
3. Here’s what Barry Cofield had to say about Brandon Meriweather, who should be able to play for the first time this year on Sunday.
That game he played last year, it was like he had a star in Mario Brothers. He was running through everything, he was invincible. He was in turbo speed and we were all regular people. So if he can give us half of that, that’ll be great. He’s going to be hungry, he’s a smart guy, he’s been in meetings the whole time. If he can get out there and get healthy and get his confidence back I think he’ll help make us a better defense.
4. DeAngelo Hall was fined $20,000 for his horse collar tackle of DeSean Jackson on Monday. That’s a pretty good chunk of money but it pales in comparison to the $65,750 he was fined last year for a horse collar ($20,000), a late hit ($5,750), and getting in a dispute with a referee ($30,000). However, his 2013 fine is coming out of a significantly slimmer paycheck. Last year Hall’s salary was $7 million but after being released in a cap move he came back for about $2.25 million. He’ll still be able to manage to get by but I’m sure his accountant is recommending that he try to avoid getting hit for more fines as the year goes on.
5. How much did the early hole the Redskins got into against the Eagles affect their game plan? A lot, according to Kyle Shanahan:
No, we really never got to do our game plan, to tell you the truth. We had some stuff in there early, but it wasn’t just that that we didn’t get to do, we didn’t get to do about 90 percent of our game plan. It turned into a two-minute drill pretty fast. In the first half, we wanted to set some things up, which is kind of what we always do in our offense, but when you can’t get a first down, we really weren’t able to set anything up, and we didn’t want to just come out and just run it to run it.
Stat of the day
—The Packers are a homegrown operation. Of the 53 players on their roster, 50 have never played a down for another NFL team. Of those players, 33 were drafted by the Packers and they signed nine as undrafted free agents.
—Redskins LB Darryl Tapp was born on this day in 1984
—Days until: Redskins @ Packers 2; Lions @ Redskins 9; Redskins @ Raiders 16
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:50; Mike Shanahan press conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:30)
Young knows Redskins must get running game going
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class
- Redskins rookie WR Josh Doctson held out of OTAs