Sep 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Cofield had hoped to play against the Eagles with a slimmed-down version of the club cast that protected his broken right hand in practice all week. But as it turned out the doctors apparently weren’t comfortable with him playing with anything less that the full club so that’s what he wore on Monday night.
It wasn’t a great situation, he said, but he muddled through the game.
“I just went out and played,” he said. “Certain blocks were tougher just because of angles and things like that. That was the plan all along, to go out and play, do everything normal, play hard, run around, I feel like I did that.”
It looked like the inability to use his hand cost him on one play when he had a shot at Philly running back LeSean McCoy but couldn’t grab on to make the stop.
“I had that one missed tackle,” he said. “I’m not sure if it was McCoy. He just ran through the club. I played 50-plus snaps. I had one missed tackle. It’s not ideal but I felt I was pretty effective.”
The cast was similar to this one that he wore in practice.
However, the wrap was colored burgundy to match the jersey they were wearing that night. With its size, shape, and color it resembled a football at a quick glance or out of the corner of the eye.
“People said they thought the ball was on the ground,” Cofield said when asked if people had commented on it. “It was funny to hear some of the feedback. I think I’m going to stick with the burgundy. Maybe it will throw off the receivers, make them think the ball’s been deflected. It’s a fashion statement, I’m going to stick with it.”
He said that he didn’t know if he still will be wearing the club against the Packers on Sunday. “It will be week to week, depending on how things go,” he said. “They are X-raying it frequently, checking out the healing process so it’s day to day if not week to week.”
Follow Us On Twitter
- Bryant gets into training camp scuffle
- Gruden on McCloughan: 'He knows what it takes to win'
- McCloughan did his homework before signing Galette
- McCloughan on Galette signing: 'I felt really, really strong about it'
- A lot is riding on “developing” right side of Redskins O-line
- Redskins practice report Moses, LeRibeus get shots with 1st team
- Redskins camp news and notes: Day off for some vets
- Tarik's camp checklist: Can RG3 stay sharp on Day 4?
- Chris Culliver on developing chemistry with DeAngelo Hall
- How big a role for Redskins RB Matt Jones?