Sep 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Cofield had hoped to play against the Eagles with a slimmed-down version of the club cast that protected his broken right hand in practice all week. But as it turned out the doctors apparently weren’t comfortable with him playing with anything less that the full club so that’s what he wore on Monday night.
It wasn’t a great situation, he said, but he muddled through the game.
“I just went out and played,” he said. “Certain blocks were tougher just because of angles and things like that. That was the plan all along, to go out and play, do everything normal, play hard, run around, I feel like I did that.”
It looked like the inability to use his hand cost him on one play when he had a shot at Philly running back LeSean McCoy but couldn’t grab on to make the stop.
“I had that one missed tackle,” he said. “I’m not sure if it was McCoy. He just ran through the club. I played 50-plus snaps. I had one missed tackle. It’s not ideal but I felt I was pretty effective.”
The cast was similar to this one that he wore in practice.
However, the wrap was colored burgundy to match the jersey they were wearing that night. With its size, shape, and color it resembled a football at a quick glance or out of the corner of the eye.
“People said they thought the ball was on the ground,” Cofield said when asked if people had commented on it. “It was funny to hear some of the feedback. I think I’m going to stick with the burgundy. Maybe it will throw off the receivers, make them think the ball’s been deflected. It’s a fashion statement, I’m going to stick with it.”
He said that he didn’t know if he still will be wearing the club against the Packers on Sunday. “It will be week to week, depending on how things go,” he said. “They are X-raying it frequently, checking out the healing process so it’s day to day if not week to week.”
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: The top five defenses the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins brass gets photo with Axl Rose at Guns n' Roses show
- Redskins position preview: Inside linebackers
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?
- NFL to interview players named in Al-Jazeera report, what does that mean for Manning?
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- Need to Know: The top five receivers the Redskins will face in 2016