Sep 12, 2013, 5:32 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 12, three days before the Redskins play the Packers at Lambeau Field.
1. When asking Redskins players about Aaron Rodgers it didn’t take long for them to come to saying “one of the best in the business”. Robert Griffin III said of him, “I appreciate the way he plays, the swagger he plays with, how he treats his teammates, all those different things. So you look up to those things.” However, he won’t spend much time appreciating Rodgers during the game. “When you’re playing him, you’re on opposite sidelines. There is no looking up to that. You’ve just got to go play.”
2. It was somewhat surprising the Brandon Meriweather was a full participant in practice. He was limited all last week with the groin problem and after testing it out on Monday night at FedEx he was placed on the inactive list. Practicing today is no guarantee that he will be able to play on Sunday but it’s certainly a good sign.
3. Jermichael Finley, the Packers’ pass-catching tight end, was one of two Green Bay players who sat out practice due to injuries yesterday. Finley injured a toe during their game against the 49ers and Josh Stitton’s back tightened up on the flight back to Wisconsin. Finley, who caught five passes for 58 yards and a touchdown, did finish the game so it is not thought that the injury is serious.
4. In the locker room on Wednesday we heard a lot of players saying something similar to what London Fletcher said about the Eagles game:
You have 24 hours to celebrate or sulk so, in the NFL you can’t dwell too long or celebrate too long because the next game is up on you pretty fast. With this being a little bit shorter week, you had one day and then last night I started looking at Green Bay film and started prepping for them.
5. On Monday night, Chris Thompson drifted back and fair caught a punt on the Redskins’ five yard line. The mistake was magnified two plays later when Alfred Morris couldn’t handle a pitch from Griffin and the running back fell on the ball in the end zone for a safety. Tarik asked Thompson about his rookie mistake yesterday:
I was upset. At the moment I didn’t know it was such a bad idea, that I stepped back so far. I shouldn’t have done that. I just have to continue to work at it. It shouldn’t have happened. It felt like I was running lateral, but I was losing ground. I should have just let it go. But it was way too late to get out of the way of the ball.”
Stat of the day
—The Redskins got off to a bad start when it comes to fixing one of their statistical sore spots last year, third down conversions. Last year they converted just 35.8 percent; on Monday it was just two of 10 for 20 percent.
—Days until: Redskins @ Packers 3; Lions @ Redskins 10; Redskins @ Raiders 17
—Today’s schedule: Player availability in locker room 11:15; Jim Haslett press conference 12:00; Practice 1:00; Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan news conferences after practice (approx. 3:00)
RG3 on mechanics under the microscope
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Cousins needs to improve on the money down
- Redskins call audible on RG3's approach to rehab
- OPEN THREAD: How will Kirk Cousins respond to Giants game?
- Where are we? The state of the Redskins in Week 5
- VIDEO: Redskins help promote Play 60
- Week 4 stats: Cousins as bad as he was good
- Gruden reacts to Giants loss: Thank goodness it only counts once
- Redskins Park news and notes--Gruden tight lipped on injuries
- Jordan Reed takes steps towards returning
- Trent Williams hopes to play against Seattle