Sep 10, 2013, 7:26 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, September 10, five days before the Redskins play the Packers at Lambeau Field.
1. Without much fanfare, the Redskins’ London Fletcher played in his 241st consecutive game. Since Bucs’ defensive back Ronde Barber spend Sunday in a broadcast booth instead of taking the field for his 241st straight, Fletcher already was the active leader in consecutive games played. If he plays in eight more without a miss he will be the all-time linebacker Iron Man, surpassing Barber’s former teammate Derrick Brooks (208). The game also marked Fletcher’s 200th straight start.
2. According to Griffin, the team had “a serious case of the ‘can’t-get-rights’” against the Eagles. “I don’t throw picks, Alfred doesn’t fumble and Kai doesn’t miss field goals,” he said. If he and Morris and Forbath can get those things right doing forward, the Redskins will have a chance to be competitive almost every week. If they don’t it could be a long year.
3. “If your offense doesn’t go, you’re always going to try to put it on your quarterback,” said Mike Shanahan. “It’s kind of the nature of the business.” And he’s right, to an extent. Morris fumbled, blocks were missed, it’s likely some pass patters weren’t run correctly, etc. But it’s the QB’s job to make it happen. It’s why a few years down the road Griffin is likely to sign a $100 million + contract.
4. One good thing about last night was it seems that the Redskins got out of it without any serious injuries IF the concussion symptoms that Ryan Kerrigan displayed don’t turn out to be anything serious. Chris Thompson left with an ankle injury but he was fine after the game.
5. When the Redskins distributed their inactive list, there was the following notation underneath it: No. 37 Reed Doughty is expected to start in place of No. 31 Brandon Meriweather at strong safety. The thing is, Doughty played little if any on defense. The strong safety was E. J. Biggers, a cornerback. We will ask today if that was a last-minute switch and if the move of Biggers to safety is permanent.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins rushed for 74 yards last night; they rushed for fewer than 122 yards in only one game all of last year (86 vs. Pittsburgh). Washington gave up 263 yards rushing to the Eagles; last year the most they gave up was 186 (vs. NY Giants).
—Days until: Redskins @ Packers 5; Lions @ Redskins 12; Redskins @ Raiders 19
—Today’s schedule: Mike Shanahan news conference 3:00 p.m. shown live on Comcast SportsNet
Garcon: “It’s a good thing we have 15 more games to go”
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Fred Smoot knows how to fix the Redskins
- Fantasy Fix: Should fantasy owners embrace Cousins?
- 3 & Out: Kirk Cousins takes over
- Redskins players ready to go with Kirk Cousins
- Redskins' Cousins: 'I just need to get ready to go'
- Shanahan: I should have pulled RG3 vs Seattle
- Shanahan: Of course RG3 wants to play
- Combative Shanahan addresses his future, benching RG3
- RG3 did not talk with Dan Snyder (VIDEO)
- Shanahan talked to Snyder, Allen before sitting RG3