Sep 9, 2013, 4:46 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, September 9, the day the Redskins open up their season against the Eagles at FedEx Field.
1. Explain to me why at 6-feet-2, 223 Robert Griffin III is somehow too fragile to get hit too often but Adrian Peterson, who is listed at 6-2, 217, can carry the ball 348 times and it’s not an issue. I know that generally speaking a quarterback will take more direct shots than a running back. Still, the level of worry over Griffin getting hit 100 or so times at his size is way over the top compared to the concern over Peterson.
2. Since Mike Shanahan came to the Redskins they have rushed for at least 130 yards in four of their six meetings with the Eagles. They are 3-1 in those games. The spotlight on Monday night will be on RG3 but maybe it should be on Alfred Morris.
3. A Redskins win on Monday night would tie Mike Shanahan with Tom Landry for the most opening day wins by a coach since the NFL merger. Six more wins this season will move Shanahan past Bill Parcells and into top 10 in all-time regular season wins as a head coach (currently 167-125).
4. If the Eagles open up in a three wide receiver set, the Redskins likely will be starting two rookie defensive backs. Bacarri Rambo will be at free safety and David Amerson will be the nickel back. There is plenty of cause for concern there but one thing you have to figure is that they have faced the kind of offensive attack we expect to see from Chip Kelly’s team a lot more recently than most of the veterans have.
5. I’ll probably say this more than once this year but if you’re complaining about either anti-Redskins bias or not enough Redskins on your choice of NFL pregame shows and you’re not watching Redskins Kickoff on Comcast SportsNet with Chick Hernandez, Trevor Matich, Brian Mitchell and others, I can’t help you.
Stat of the day
—Last year against the Eagles RG3 completed 77 percent of his passes, averaged 10.2 yards per attempt, and threw six touchdowns to one interception.
—One year ago today Robert Griffin III made his NFL debut by completing 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards and two touchdowns as the Redskins defeated the Saints 40-32.
—It’s been 243 days since the last Redskins game; the next one is today
—Days until: Redskins @ Packers 6; Lions @ Redskins 13; Redskins @ Raiders 20
—Today’s schedule: Redskins Kickoff on Comcast SportsNet 6:00; Eagles at Redskins ESPN 7:10; Redskins Post Game Live on Comcast SportsNet immediately after the game.
Tarik previews Redskins-Eagles
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring