Sep 8, 2013, 6:45 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, September 8, one day before the Redskins open up their season against the Eagles at FedEx Field.
That Was the Week That Was
A look back at last week’s headlines.
—Jose Gumbs made the Redskins’ 53-man roster. He earned his roster spot with hustle and good special teams play. The stunning part was that that he made it over 2011 draft pick DeJon Gomes. This organization doesn’t give up on its draft picks easily and it says a lot of both players that Gumbs, who signed his contract on the practice field in Richmond, made it.
—Every four years we know that there will be a presidential inauguration on Jan. 20 but it’s still news when it happens. It was like this on Monday when it was news when Mike Shanahan announced that Robert Griffin III will start at quarterback against the Eagles even though it was a foregone conclusion.
—Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen, and Adam Carriker all restructured their contracts last week, temporarily giving the team a total of $7.2 million in cap space per the NFLPA’s public site. But that was quickly eaten up when all 53 players on the roster plus those on injured reserve and PUP started counting towards the cap instead of just the top 51 as is the case during the offseason.
—It’s Sunday morning and the Redskins still have four quarterbacks on their roster. Just goes to show you that us “insiders” and “experts” really don’t know everything. Pat White will collect an NFL paycheck and we will continue to wonder how he fits into the team’s plans.
—The Redskins went young and inexperienced with their O-line reserves. I don’t think there should be any major concerns if the Redskins need to go to their bench at the guard position. If you can’t get by with a third-round pick like Josh LeRibeus or a fifth-rounder like Adam Gettis at guard, you have to question your scouting and development. I do think there would legitimate cause for concern if Tom Compton has to go in at tackle. He wouldn’t be overwhelmed but they would need to expect him to struggle some.
—If the Eagles open up in a three wide receiver set, the Redskins likely will be starting two rookie defensive backs. Bacarri Rambo will be at free safety and David Amerson will be the nickel back. There is plenty of cause for concern there but one thing you have to figure is that they have faced the kind of offensive attack we expect to see from Chip Kelly’s team a lot more recently than most of the veterans have.
In case you missed it
- Roster analysis: Defense
- Roster analysis: Offense
- Redskins announce practice squad
- “Gummy Bear” makes the 53
- It’s official: Griffin will start vs. Eagles
- Meriweather misses practice
- Cofield restructures contract
- Orakpo, Redskins face improved Eagles O-line
- Option could neutralize Cole
- Tanard Jackson decision could take a while
- Countdown question 7: Is O-line depth a concern?
- Barry Cofield practices with a club on his hand
- Pat White “enthused” to make Redskins’ roster
- Why are the Redskins carrying four QB’s?
- Thompson tried to keep calm while awaiting his roster fate
- Special teams clinch roster spot for Jerome Murphy
- Griffin expects emotional return
- Vick to RG3: You have to be cautious
- Countdown to kickoff: Are the Redskins better at safety?
- Orakpo excited for first game back
- Compton is Redskins’ backup plan at tackle
- Redskins need to contain Eagles’ Jackson
- RG3 conversation will shift to games
- Can defenses stop the Redskins’ read option?
- Continuity should help RG3 shake rust
- Meriweather limited in practice with groin injury
- Unusual for QB’s to play without preseason
- Carriker determined to return
- Will the Eagles offense wear down their defense?
- Redskins’ restructure money is spent
- Can the Redskins go from good to great?
- Predicting over/under lines for the 2013 Redskins
- Can Orakpo revive the Redskins’ pass rush?
- Meriweather again limited in practice
- Redskins’ defense will need hustle, discipline vs. Eagles
- Eagles and Redskins both in good health
- 1,000 yards for Garçon?
- Meriweather questionable for Eagles
- Eagles’ defense a mystery, too
- Who are the top players in the NFC East?
- Shanahan: No change in rules for hitting option QBs
- Redskins know their foe in Vick
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor