Sep 2, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
We don’t know how much of an effect Chip Kelly’s new scheme will have on the Eagles’ offense. It could boom, it could bust. But one advantage Kelly will have over what Andy Reid last year is a solid pair of bookend tackles.
Jason Peters, one of the best in the game, returns at left tackle after missing all of 2012 with an Achilles injury. The Eagles tried Demetress Bell there for a while and by the time the Redskins played them for the first time in Week 11 they had turned to Kind Dunlap. Neither was even up to “just a guy” level; they were both awful.
They invested their first draft pick, the fourth overall, in Lane Johnson, an athletic tackle out of Oklahoma. Even right of the bat he should be a major upgrade over Dennis Kelly, the stiff who was at right tackle for both Redskins-Eagles games last year.
The Eagles had issues in the interior of the line as well and it showed. In their two games with the Redskins Philly rushed for just 170 yards. They also gave up nine sacks to a Redskins team that had just 32 sacks on the season.
One would expect the Eagles to be better in both pass protection and running the ball just by virtue of the return of Peters and the addition of Johnson. The Redskins, of course, have Brian Orakpo back from injury and he will line up against Peters on most snaps. We will see who has the advantage.
Follow Us On Twitter
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown