Sep 2, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
We don’t know how much of an effect Chip Kelly’s new scheme will have on the Eagles’ offense. It could boom, it could bust. But one advantage Kelly will have over what Andy Reid last year is a solid pair of bookend tackles.
Jason Peters, one of the best in the game, returns at left tackle after missing all of 2012 with an Achilles injury. The Eagles tried Demetress Bell there for a while and by the time the Redskins played them for the first time in Week 11 they had turned to Kind Dunlap. Neither was even up to “just a guy” level; they were both awful.
They invested their first draft pick, the fourth overall, in Lane Johnson, an athletic tackle out of Oklahoma. Even right of the bat he should be a major upgrade over Dennis Kelly, the stiff who was at right tackle for both Redskins-Eagles games last year.
The Eagles had issues in the interior of the line as well and it showed. In their two games with the Redskins Philly rushed for just 170 yards. They also gave up nine sacks to a Redskins team that had just 32 sacks on the season.
One would expect the Eagles to be better in both pass protection and running the ball just by virtue of the return of Peters and the addition of Johnson. The Redskins, of course, have Brian Orakpo back from injury and he will line up against Peters on most snaps. We will see who has the advantage.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game
- Redskins Playbook: Battle for running back reps is on
- Redskins’ left guard competition still undecided