Sep 2, 2013, 5:37 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, Sept. 2, seven days before the Redskins open up their season against the Eagles at FedEx Field.
1. The Redskins, one of the younger teams in the NFL just a couple of years ago, are growing older on us. By the measure of Jimmy Kempski at Philly.com the Redskins are the second-oldest team in the NFL. According to the calculations of Mike Sando of ESPN, they are the third oldest with the oldest defense. The numbers are what they are but I don’t view the Redskins as an “aging” team. Most of their top players are 27 or younger, players like Brian Orakpo, Pierre Garçon, Perry Riley, Trent Williams, Ryah Kerrigan, Alfred Morris, and, the fifth-youngest player on the team at about 23 and a half, Robert Griffin III.
2. Mike Shanahan will have a press conference after practice today; it should take place at about 3:30 or so. He will be asked why the Redskins kept Pat White on the 53-man roster, giving the team four quarterbacks on the roster. Expect an answer that gives out precisely no information. It will be something like, “He was one of the best 53 players, we keep the best 53 regardless of position.” And this is the right thing to do, there is no reason for him to tip his hand regarding the teams intentions with White.
3. The Big Announcement at that presser will be about the starting quarterback against the Eagles. We don’t really need that announcement. The team released its media schedule this week. NFL media rules state that the starting quarterback must meet with the media during the week. The only QB scheduled to have a press conference is Robert Griffin III.
4. Every beat writer is getting multiple inquiries daily about the status of suspended safety Tanard Jackson. Don’t hold your breath. The last time he was suspended he was not reinstated until 17 days after he was eligible. I’m not sure why the league would expedite anything for Jackson this time around after another major suspension. Then IF he gets reinstated and IF the Redskins decide to take a chance and give him a shot and IF he is in shape and IF they decide he’s a better option than what they have on the roster, he might then return to the field. So we probably have a while to go and, as outlined above, a lot of ifs to navigate. Currently he’s not counting against the 53-man roster and he isn’t getting paid so there is not salary cap charge.
5. Some Redskins now have new numbers. Some of the changes were made by choice, others were necessary. Bacarri Rambo had to change from Roy Helu Jr.’s 29 so he took 24, formerly owned by the released DeJon Gomes. Nick Barnett took number 55, Brandon Jenkins 51 and Chris Thompson now will wear 25.
Stat of the day
—There was a lot of focus on how few times the Redskins turned the ball over last year (a team record low 14 times). But they also did well on the takeaway side of the turnover ratio. They had 21 interceptions and recovered 10 opposing fumbles. Those takeaways were spread out through the year. They had only three games with no takeaways and 12 games with at least two.
—It’s been 239 days since the last Redskins game; there are seven days until the next one
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 7; Redskins @ Packers 13; Lions @ Redskins 20
—Today’s schedule: Practice at 1:45; Mike Shanahan press conference after practice (approx. 3:30).
White makes the 53
In case you missed it
- Roster analysis: Defense
- Roster analysis: Offense
- Redskins announce practice squad
- “Gummy Bear” makes the 53
@Rich_TandlerCSN on Twitter
Many predictions will be made this week and not all will have #Redskins doing well. Please ask the writer of the article why, not me.
— Rich Tandler (@Rich_TandlerCSN) September 1, 2013
Follow Us On Twitter
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly