Sep 1, 2013, 6:45 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, September 1, eight days before the Redskins open their season against the Eagles at FedEx Field.
That was the week that was
—I don’t know why the Redskins decided to keep four quarterbacks but it wasn’t so that they could trade Kirk Cousins. He is going nowhere.
—They also didn’t keep Pat White and Rex Grossman because of “concerns” surrounding RG3. Griffin is starting against the Eagles.
—But regardless of why White is on the 53 and no matter how long he stays there, he deserves credit for taking advantage of the opportunity. It seems like he has a long way to go before he could be a regular NFL quarterback but he’s willing to work at it so anything is possible.
—Jose Gumbs, who Raheem Morris calls “Gummy Bear”, was brought in as a free agent when Jordan Bernstine was released at the start of training camp. As he and his new teammates were stretching prior to his first practice there were some front office types out there with him showing him some paperwork to sign. He literally signed his contract while on the field.
—Gumbs is a smallish safety (5-feet-10, 210) but he hustles and hits. This is his third stop in the NFL after coming out of Monmouth in 2012. If he’s active for games he’ll get a heavy dose of special teams play.
—We’ll ask Mike Shanahan why Chase Minnifield was let go. I suspect it was in part because they like Jerome Murphy, who was a third-round pick of the Rams in 2010 and was around here last year. I also think they believed that Minnifield has some work to do before he is a legitimate NFL corner.
—The Redskins can start forming their practice squad this afternoon. The claiming deadline for practice squad eligible players such as Minnifield, running back Jawan Jamison, and wide receiver Nick Williams is noon today. If no other teams claim them the Redskins can offer them positions on their practice squad.
—Many predicted that the Redskins would go with eight offensive linemen with the three linemen the team drafted in 2012 as the backups. But it’s another thing actually to see it, especially Tom Compton as the swing tackle. In past seasons, Shanahan has kept an experienced guy like Jordan Black or Sean Locklear around for that role. Josh LeRibeus is the only one of the three who has seen so much as a snap of NFL action. Adam Gettis was on the roster for 16 games last year and was inactive all 16.
—In case anyone cares, I correctly predicted 49 of the 53 roster spots. On defense I had DeJon Gomes in over Gumbs and Minnifield over Murphy. On offense I had nine O-linemen with Tony Pashos in and Pat White out. I also had Keiland Williams in instead of Evan Royster.
—Evidently some of the Redskins had a costume party last night. Well, at least I hope they did.
— Josh LeRibeus (@JLeRibeus) September 1, 2013
In case you missed it
- Who made a strong case to stick?
- Crawford injury has ripple effects
- Shanahan updates RG3’s progress
- Keiland Williams excels in limited opportunities
- Can the NFL protect players who don’t want to protect themselves?
- Meriweather in, Cousins out for Thursday
- Crawford facing nine-month rehab
- Redskins announce roster cuts
- Royster hopes to play in Tampa
- Cousins tests foot
- No RG3 presser this week
- Shanahan: RG3 is “in football shape”
- Redskins complete cut to 75
- Crawford clears waivers
- White will start against Bucs
- Haslett says Rambo “did a great job”
- Cofield expects to play Week 1
- RG3 says he’s all the way back from injury
- Punt return job up for grabs
- Game preview, Redskins-Bucs
- RG3 on the cover of SI
- Griffin not a done deal for Week 1—yet
- Redskins will test Plan B at fullback
- Why will White got the distance vs. the Bucs?
- Redskins’ roster comes into focus
- Projecting the 53: Offense
- Projecting the 53: Defense
- RG3 “concerns” identified?
- Mission not yet accomplished for RG3
Follow Us On Twitter
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown