Sep 1, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
The Redskins announced that they have added eight players to their practice squad. All of them were released by the team on Saturday.
- Seventh-round pick RB Jawan Jamison, was the only 2013 draft pick to be released.. He has some zone running ability but he needs to get stronger.
- Undrafted free agent OT Xavier Nixon has good size and athletic ability but he has a lot to learn before making an NFL roster.
- OL Tevita Stevens was injured some in training camp and never really gained traction in his competition for a roster spot.
- WR Nick Williams became the fans’ favorite dark horse to make the roster during the preseason but he just didn’t have enough experience to stick.
- Undrafted ILB Will Compton from Nebraska showed some ability and was a sure tackler but it came down to numbers at linebacker.
- CB Chase Minnifield looked like he was progressing well during the offseason and in training camp. After Richard Crawford went out for the season with a knee injury, it looked like Minnifield was a lock. But the coaches wanted the more experienced Jerome Murphy instead.
- In this second try to make the Redskins—an injury derailed his first attempt last year—WR Lance Lewis was better but still too inconsistent. He has size (6-2) and some ability, he could have an NFL future down the road.
- Some thought that DE Dominique Hamilton might surprise and slip onto the roster as a suspension replacement for Phillip Merling. But he couldn’t beat out the veteran.
Follow Us On Twitter
- PHOTOS: No Pro Bowl? Jackson judges Miss Universe instead
- Will former Giants D.C. join Redskins' staff?
- Should the Redskins bring back RB Roy Helu?
- Redskins salary cap outlook: Running back
- Raheem Morris reportedly accepts job with the Falcons
- 2015 Redskins position outlook: Running back
- OPEN THREAD: No former Redskins in Super Bowl shows talent dearth?
- Report: Packers won't let Highsmith talk to Redskins
- Mock draft roundup: No consensus for Redskins' top pick
- Watt gets 2 turnovers, dances in friendly Pro Bowl