Sep 1, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
The Redskins announced that they have added eight players to their practice squad. All of them were released by the team on Saturday.
- Seventh-round pick RB Jawan Jamison, was the only 2013 draft pick to be released.. He has some zone running ability but he needs to get stronger.
- Undrafted free agent OT Xavier Nixon has good size and athletic ability but he has a lot to learn before making an NFL roster.
- OL Tevita Stevens was injured some in training camp and never really gained traction in his competition for a roster spot.
- WR Nick Williams became the fans’ favorite dark horse to make the roster during the preseason but he just didn’t have enough experience to stick.
- Undrafted ILB Will Compton from Nebraska showed some ability and was a sure tackler but it came down to numbers at linebacker.
- CB Chase Minnifield looked like he was progressing well during the offseason and in training camp. After Richard Crawford went out for the season with a knee injury, it looked like Minnifield was a lock. But the coaches wanted the more experienced Jerome Murphy instead.
- In this second try to make the Redskins—an injury derailed his first attempt last year—WR Lance Lewis was better but still too inconsistent. He has size (6-2) and some ability, he could have an NFL future down the road.
- Some thought that DE Dominique Hamilton might surprise and slip onto the roster as a suspension replacement for Phillip Merling. But he couldn’t beat out the veteran.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Cousins on benching: 'You can’t win with turnovers'
- A look at the "other" change the Redskins made
- Gruden's conundrum: Griffin, Cousins or McCoy?
- McCoy earns chance to get Redskins win
- Redskins hope for best, brace for worst on Orakpo injury
- Hatcher: 'You better make it or I'm gonna kill you'
- Titans players see Colt McCoy as playmaker
- Emotional Colt McCoy: NFL is 'unforgiving'
- Cousins on Gruden's switch, ‘submit to his authority’
- Gruden: McCoy earned play time for Redskins