Aug 31, 2013, 5:40 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 31, nine days before the Redskins open up their season against the Eagles at FedEx Field.
Five things from Redskins Park:
1. It’s cutdown day, the day of the Turk and news of who has been released will trickle in all day today. If you’re the type who doesn’t like to rely on news from “sources” preferring instead to wait for the official word you’ll have to wait a while. Since Mike Shanahan has been the head coach the press release announcing who has been cut has come out after the sun has started to set. The time stamp on the email last year was 9:10 p.m.
2. I think that seventh-round pick Jawan Jamison will be one of those players asked to see the coach and bring his iPad today. He just didn’t do enough in camp to earn carries in the preseason games and without those, Shanahan has said many times, he can’t really judge a runner. Jamison looked pretty good in minicamp when nobody’s wearing any pads. That makes me think that maybe he needs to get stronger. If he is cut I think he makes the practice squad and after a year there and, just as important, a year in the weight room he can come back next year and have a solid shot at the 53.
3. The Redskins got 10 sacks in four preseason games so that would be the equivalent of getting 40 in a 16-game season. That would have been good for ninth in the NFL last year. Of course you can’t project their 2013 performance like that because many of those sacks were by guys who won’t be around or won’t play regularly going up against opponents in the same boat. But what you saw was a decent level of pass pressure and if they can duplicate it in the regular season they should be pretty happy. By comparison, the Redskins’ 32 sacks last year were 24th in the league.
4. As the contradictory reports and text messages fly around, just remember one thing—all of this is process. A week from today few will remember that it took an extra three days for Shanahan to name Griffin the starter due to some nebulous, disputed “concerns”.
5. Nick Barnett got into the swing of things yesterday playing 25 snaps with four tackles. I still think he might be inactive for a few weeks while he gets fully into football shape. It’s possible (just my speculation here) that he could be a one- or two-year stopgap at Mike linebacker if London Fletcher retires at the end of the year. It doesn’t look like Keenan Robinson, who the Redskins drafted with the idea of having him replace Fletcher some day, will be ready and if he is you have to wonder if injuries will be a concern. They could stick with Robinson or draft another potential replacement in the middle rounds next year.
Stat of the day
Final preseason stat leaders
—Rushing: Roy Helu Jr., 27 carries 157 yards (5.8 average)
—Receiving : Receptions, 3 tied with 7 (Aldrick Robinson, Leonard Hankerson, Nick Williams); Yards Dezmon Briscoe 113 (4 rec., 28.3 avg.)
—Passing: Rex Grossman 31-58 for 423 yards, 3 TD’s, 1 INT, 87.0 rating
—Sacks: Ryan Kerrigan 2
—Interceptions: Kerrigan and David Amerson tied with 1
—It’s been 234 days since the last Redskins game; there are nine days to go until the next on
—Today is the day that the “days until” line starts counting down to nothing but actual football games that count.
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 9; Redskins @ Packers 15; Lions @ Redskins 22
—Today’s schedule: Team is scheduled to have a light practice, no media availability. Final cuts due to league office by 6 p.m.
Thompson talks about his punt return
In case you missed it
- Redskins’ roster comes into focus
- Projecting the 53: Offense
- Projecting the 53: Defense
- RG3 “concerns” identified?
- Mission not yet accomplished for RG3
Follow Us On Twitter
- In need of red zone help, Redskins could look for a big wide receiver in the draft
- Should the Redskins replace kicker Kai Forbath?
- Weighing the worth of the Skins' draft pick
- Redskins' D-line depth chart is in flux
- Newest Redskin asks what '#HTTR' means, Twitter responds
- An hour after letting Cofield go, Redskins cut veteran DE
- Redskins re-sign starting offensive tackle
- Redskins cut veteran nose tackle day after signing Jean-Francois
- ICYMI: Llamas, that is all.
- Redskins free agent fits: Outside linebacker