Aug 23, 2013, 5:10 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 23, one day before the Redskins take on the Bills at FedEx Field.
Five items from Redskins Park:
1. The dress rehearsal will feature a lot of understudies. Mike Shanahan said that the starters will play about 20 snaps on Saturday. That’s considerably fewer than most teams around the league will have their front-line players in. And although he did leave himself some wiggle room, it looks like the starters will sit out the fourth preseason game as they usually do. That means that the starters will play a total of about a single game’s worth of football in practice games.
2. Maurice Hurt is still on the PUP list and it doesn’t look like he’ll be off of it anytime soon. “We’re just going to keep on working him,” said Shanahan. He’s got a knee. We’re trying to get him in football shape. I’m afraid if we put him in there too quick there will be a setback, especially with a short week, so we’re constantly evaluating him day-by-day.”
3. The annual Welcome Home Luncheon is today at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center. It’s always a nice event with some alumni and all of the players there and some awards given out. I wonder who is the favorite to win offensive player of the year?
4. Nick Barnett has yet to play a down but he may have locked up the award for the best quote of the year: “If they let the lion off the chain, I’ll be out there roaming the jungle.” Jim Haslett said that he should be let off the chain, rather, that he should play, on Saturday.
5. It sounds like Robert Griffin III is doing more than he did last week in Richmond. “It has been a full practice for him,” said Shanahan. “He’s had two excellent days, same thing he would have during the regular season.
Stat of the day
The Redskins were the worst defense in the league on third down last year, allowing conversions 44.2 percent of the time. So far in the preseason they have allowed just five of 20 third downs to be converted, a rate of 25 percent. Of course there is huge caveat in the quality of the opposition. They faced Charlie Batch Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones for a good chunk of Monday’s game, not Big Ben. But it’s a step in the right direction if they can get into a habit of shutting teams down on third down.
One week from today the Redskins will be done with their preseason and a day away from having their 53-man roster finalized.
Days until: Bills @ Redskins 1; Final cuts 8; Eagles @ Redskins 17
Today’s schedule—No availability, Bills at Redskins tomorrow at 4:30 p.m., Comcast SportsNet
Tandler and Tarik talk about the Bills game
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins position preview: Outside linebackers
- Red zone, 3rd improvement will be hard to come by for Redskins' offense
- Need to Know: The top five defenses the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins brass gets photo with Axl Rose at Guns n' Roses show
- Redskins position preview: Inside linebackers
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?
- NFL to interview players named in Al-Jazeera report, what does that mean for Manning?
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks