Aug 22, 2013, 5:13 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 22, two days before the Redskins take on the Bills at FedEx Field.
You do what you have to do
Robert Griffin III will not play in a preseason game due to his injured knee. Kirk Cousins is likely to play less in the preseason than most starting quarterbacks and backup QB’s because of the foot sprain he sustained in Monday night’s Steelers game.
And it seems that a lot of people out there are concerned about this situation. How can quarterbacks get ready for the season without seeing any preseason action?
The answer is that they will be ready because they have to be.
If Griffin or Cousins can’t play in preseason games then they can’t. League rules won’t allow a team to schedule an extra exhibition game to play when an injured player is ready to play. They will have to get ready and play some other way.
Like maybe the way that they do in college. “Remember, the first time Robert has ever had a preseason game was last year,” said Mike Shanahan. “He’s never had one in college. He’s never had one in high school. You don’t have preseason games [until you get to the NFL].”
According to Shanahan, the way they get it done is through practice.
“I really believe that if you can put guys in full-speed type practice, you can get them ready for the regular season,” he said. “It happens a lot of times, mostly because of injuries.”
Although having your starting quarterback sit out all of the preseason is not an ideal situation and perhaps he won’t be as sharp as he would be with a normal workload. But they have no choice. There aren’t any preseason games scheduled until August of 2014. I don’t think they want to wait that long to let Griffin play.
So they will do what they have to do and get Griffin ready to play and get Cousins ready to back him up (or play if needed). No matter what, the Eagles are going to show up on September 9 and the Redskins will need to trot out a quarterback.
11:15—Open locker room (interviews with players)
12:00—Jim Haslett news conferene
1:00—Practice (only first 30 minutes open to media)
After practice (approx. 3:30) —News conferences with Kyle Shanahan, Mike Shanahan
RG3 think he’s on pace
In case you missed it
- Tanard Jackson “trying to be a better man”
- RG3: “I’ll continue to be who I am”
- Cofield, Cousins not expected to play Saturday
- Reed still learning
- Cousins: “It was a relief”
- Back to work at renovated Redskins Park
Days until: Bills @ Redskins 3; Final cuts 10; Eagles @ Redskins 19
Follow Us On Twitter
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley
- After quiet day in Detroit, Redskins Pierre Garçon says 'we always try to go deep'
- Vernon Davis tells 60 minutes about investment that burned dozens of NFL players
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit