Aug 20, 2013, 12:53 AM EDT
The status of Robert Griffin III for the Redskins’ season opener will be decided at some point after the Redskins’ final preseason game in Tampa.
Mike Shanahan said that Dr. James Andrews, the orthopedic surgeon who did the reconstruction of the quarterback’s right knee last January 9, evaluated Griffin prior to tonight’s preseason game against the Steelers at FedEx Field.
“He feels great about Robert’s progress,” said Shanahan. “He really feels the same way he did before camp. He feels good about him practicing.”
According to Shanahan, Andrews watched Griffin work out prior to the game and then he evaluated the knee afterwards. It was the first time that Andrews has examined Griffin since the doctor evaluated him just prior to the start of training camp. At that time, Andrews cleared Griffin to practice.
The head coach did say that Andrews was standing by his prior recommendation that Griffin no play in any preseason games. Shanahan has previously announced and reiterated that Griffin would not participate in the preseason.
The plan is for Andrews to go through basically the same procedure when the Redskins go to Tampa for their preseason finale against the Bucs on August 29.
“He’s going to reevaluate him after the Tampa game and then he’ll make a decision, at least from his perspective, where he’s at,” said Shanahan.
Griffin was interviewed by ESPN on the sideline during the game and he seemed to be relaxed and upbeat about the situation.
“Right now it could come up to the Sunday before the game,” he said. “There’s no rush. It’s just about us all being on the same page. I already actually talked to [Andrews]. We met and he says everything looks good, we just need to keep going from here.”
The Redskins open their season on Monday night, September 9 against the Eagles at FedEx Field. Griffin has long stated that it is his goal to play in that game. He will have to way another week and a half or so to find out if he will reach that goal.
Follow Us On Twitter
- New Redskins WR Doctson provides update on his surgically repaired wrist
- High marks for Redskins after selecting Josh Doctson in 1st round of NFL Draft
- Gruden compares Doctson to Bengals Pro Bowl receiver
- Why did the Redskins trade down one spot in the first round?
- Gruden: Norman signing played in to Redskins going offense in first round
- Doctson on joining Redskins: 'I'm happy and ready to get to work'
- Doctson may not start in 2016 but should have major role
- "The more the merrier:" Redskins players welcome another wideout
- Redskins address longterm need in elite WR with Doctson pick
- Redskins go offense in first round, take TCU WR Josh Doctson