Aug 18, 2013, 7:26 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday August 17, one day before the Redskins take on the Steelers at FedEx Field in preseason game No. 2.
That Was the Week That Was
—Going into this round of preseason games, 55 NFL players had suffered season ending injuries. That means that the Redskins, who lost Phillip Thomas (foot) and Keenan Robinson (torn pectoral), are right around the league average. They have yet to lose a projected starter for even a game yet, however, so their luck is holding out there just over three weeks before the start of the regular season. Last year the Redskins had the second highest total of games missed by projected starters in the NFL.
—One are where the Redskins are particularly solid is on the offensive line. When the 32 NFL teams take the field for their openers they will average 1.75 changes on their starting offensive lines. That includes both players new to the team and 2012 starters who switched positions. Eight teams will have at least three changes. The Redskins will have zero changes. And they have all five starters under contract for 2014. Continuity on the line isn’t everything but it helps and the Redskins have the potential to be in good shape there for a few more years.
—Fred Davis wasn’t the only Redskin fined after drawing a 15-yard flag in last week’s preseason game in Tennessee. Bacarri Rambo was hit for $7,875 for shoving Shonn Green after the running back had scored a second-quarter touchdown. Chris Baker was hit for $15,750 for hitting QB Rust Smith in the knees in the fourth quarter. For Rambo, who is earning the rookie minimum, the fine will eat up 33 percent of his first weekly paycheck of about $23,800.
—Jordan Reed has shown some flashes of outright brilliance during training camp. His twisting, over the shoulder catch of a Robert Griffin III pass last week was stunning. But he also has moments where he seems to be lacking in effort like when he has a chance to knock the ball away from a defensive back to prevent an interception or when a ball is thrown that perhaps could be caught by diving for it. It seems to me that he is concerned about getting injured, perhaps a justified fear since he missed all of minicamp with one injury and about a week of practice with another one. He should play on Monday, perhaps extensively, so it will be interesting to see if his, well, cautious ways continue in a game situation.
—When Bruce Allen spoke in Richmond on Friday, he said that the salary cap penalty the team was hit with for 2012 and 2013 will have “repercussions . . . down the road.” And it’s clear that the Redskins will still be paying the price next year and the new two or three if they have to renegotiate contracts in order to get under the cap this year. That will push cap dollars from this year into future years, giving them less to spend in future years. Certainly, the effects won’t be as pronounced as they have been the last couple of years but it still will shrink their available cap room by several million dollars, perhaps more.
In case you missed it
For your Sunday morning reading pleasure, here are links to all 42 Redskins posts from the past week from here and CSNwashington.com.
- Cofield says Rak makes the whole defense better
- Shanahan praises Cousins’ progress
- TW3: Redskins will deal Cousins—someday
- Delay of game: No team work for RG3 until Wednesday
- Thomas will see a foot specialist
- Practice report: Reed, Meriweather back
- Barnett ready to do more in practice
- No firm plan for a bubble in Richmond
- RG3: “I don’t have to understand it”
- RG3’s rehab is on schedule
- Redskins shifting to in-season mode
- RG3: “There is no conflict”
- Practice report: First scuffle of camp
- Thomas out for season with Lisfranc injury
- McNabb says RG3 has been “brainwashed”
- Brandon Jenkins could bolster pass rush
- Reed says he’s healthy but rusty
- Shanahan, RG3 agree on main goal
- Practice report: Reed steals the show
- How did RG3 look?
- Griffin takes first full-team snaps
- Henderson cut, Barnett working his way back
- Rambo will learn from his mistakes
- Baby steps for RG3
- Practice report: RG3 better in second day of 11 on 11
- Kyle Shanahan: RG3 sharper on Thursday
- Haslett says Fletcher looks as good as ever
- Reed expects to make tough catches
- Redskins sign LB Quan Sturdivant
- Davis’ workload to increase
- Point-Counterpoint: Ready for Week 1?
- Despite cap crunch, Redskins to keep “best 53”
- Thompson expects to play Monday night
- Orakpo’s injury not serious
- Allen pleased with RG3’s progress
- Can the Redskins count on Meriweather?
- Redskins view Ducks to prepare for Eagles
Follow Us On Twitter
- 5 stats you need to know for Redskins vs. Giants
- With big game looming, Gruden maintains consistent approach
- Few remain from the Redskins' last big game
- Culliver's up-and-down season ends on IR
- Fans, players pay respects on anniversary of Sean Taylor's death
- Redskins' home record a good omen
- Gruden discusses Redskins' plan to replace Culliver
- Full Redskins injury report: Two starters are questionable
- Landon Collins excited to play on the field where idol Sean Taylor once did
- Week 12 preview: It's a 'one game season' for the Redskins