Aug 17, 2013, 6:03 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 17, two days before the Redskins host the Steelers at FedEx Field.
The best and worst of training camp in Richmond
I put Richmond in my rear view mirror yesterday afternoon as camp broke after 22 days at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins training center. Before turning the focus here to the upcoming preseason games and life in Ashburn (Redskins Park, by the way, is 10 minutes from my house), let’s take a look at the good and bad from training camp in Richmond.
—Injuries: The Redskins suffered only two major injuries, the Lisfranc injury that ended Phillip Thomas’ season and Keenan Robinson’s torn pec. It should be said that Shanahan does not run a particularly hard-hitting training camp as players are never tackled to the ground so perhaps it follows that there will be fewer camp injuries. Still, that’s some good fortune that the Redskins will take, thank you very much.
—Bacarri Rambo: The Redskins put him in as the starter from the first walkthrough on the first day of camp and he has held onto the job. The sixth-round pick showed excellent instincts and he is on track to start against the Eagles on September 9.
—Smooth operation: There was a hiccup here and there and a few rainy days turned the area surrounding the practice fields into a quagmire but overall things went well. The setup was good, traffic was not an issue, and (pardon mentioning something nobody outside of the media cares about) the WiFi worked great. On top of all that the crowds were tremendous.
—Jarvis Jenkins: We got word of his four-game suspension to start the season shortly after the start of camp. It should be something that the Redskins can overcome but it’s not good for the career of the former second-round draft pick.
—Brandon Meriweather: He can’t seem to get that knee healthy. Meriweather would go hard for a day or two and then he’d need a couple of days of light duty. The presumed starter at strong safety still has time to get well but it’s getting late.
—RG3-Shanahan: Yes, it was overblown but the whole thing did not reflect well on the Redskins, especially including Griffin.
No availability today
Backup RB battle heats up
In case you missed it
- Point-Counterpoint: Ready for Week 1?
- Despite cap crunch, Redskins to keep “best 53”
- Thompson expects to play Monday night
- Orakpo’s injury not serious
- Allen pleased with RG3’s progress
- Can the Redskins count on Meriweather?
- Redskins view Ducks to prepare for Eagles
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins 2; Final cuts 14; Monday night Giants at Redskins 106
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions