Aug 16, 2013, 5:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 16, three days before the Redskins host the Steelers at FedEx Field.
Redskins studying Oregon to prep for Eagles
RICHMOND—Last year the Redskins looked at a lot of film from Baylor games to try to design an offense that would suit their new quarterback, Robert Griffin III.
This year the team has looked at college film for a different reason. They ordered up some reels from the University of Oregon in an effort to try to figure out what they will be facing when they take on Chip Kelly and the Eagles in their season opener.
“We have looked at endless film on Oregon,” said defensive coordinator Jim Haslett on Thursday. [It’s] a little bit different because they do some things in college that they cannot do up here. But it’s basically the same, what we saw on film last week [against the Patriots].”
But what makes playing the Eagles tough, in Haslett’s estimation, is the quality of some of the players he has to work with.
“I think Chip will do a great job there because they’ve got great skill players on offense,” said Haslett. “They’ve got good quarterbacks, the running back is extremely scary, their wide receivers are good football players and they’ve got a heck of a line.”
Besides an unconventional scheme and talented players, the Eagles will try to duplicate the frantic pace of Oregon’s offense. The Ducks were among the nation’s leaders in play per game and the Eagles got off 91 snaps against New England.
The solution to dealing with that is simple, according to Haslett. Just get them off of the field.
“The best thing to do is get three-and-out and then you won’t have to worry about those types of things,” said Haslett.
“The best thing to do is to a good job on first down, get them into situations we can get off the field.”
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
10:00—Bruce Allen press conference
10:35—Single practice, players available coming off of the field
12:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
Meriweather the key at safety
In case you missed it
- Practice report: RG3 better in second day of 11 on 11
- Kyle Shanahan: RG3 sharper on Thursday
- Haslett says Fletcher looks as good as ever
- Reed expects to make tough catches
- Redskins sign LB Quan Sturdivant
- Davis’ workload to increase
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins 3; Preseason game 3 vs. Bills 8; Redskins @ Cowboys 56
Follow Us On Twitter
- Which Redskins are on the roster bubble?
- Redskins guard Spencer Long has been getting some work at center, too
- OTAs to-do list: How much work remains at safety?
- OTAs to-do list: Is it Matt Jones' job to lose?
- Need to Know: Has the Redskins' defense improved enough?
- High school senior takes Redskins cheerleader to prom
- Looking at the Redskins' roster locks going into OTAs
- Redskins' rushing defense has issues beyond explosive plays
- Need to Know: Which Redskins will surprise in 2016?
- Vernon Davis getting ready for OTAs with Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson