Aug 15, 2013, 5:30 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 15, four days before the Redskins host the Steelers at FedEx Field.
A big test for Davis
RICHMOND—Fred Davis saw his first on-field football action since October 21 last week when he played 13 snaps against the Titans. His brief appearance was a success as he caught two passes for 14 yards including one for a touchdown.
His surgically repaired Achilles tendon will be put to a greater test on Monday night when the Redskins take on the Steelers at FedEx Field.
“Fred will play more than he did in the first game,” said Mike Shanahan. “He will probably play close to half.”
That would mean about 35 snaps for Davis. He will need to be in what Shanahan likes to call “football shape” to play well. Shanahan believes that Davis’ conditioning is fine.
The coach is pleased with Davis’ play. “What I have seen thus far in camp is very encouraging because he has played well, he has caught the ball well, he has blocked well, and hopefully he can continue to do that,” said Shanahan.
Shanahan should continue to be happy with Davis as long as the tight end avoids the type of goofy TD celebrations like the one he pulled out against the Titans. That cost the Redskins 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff.
It may be a coincidence, but on Monday, the first practice day after the Tennessee game, Davis spend some time lining up with the scrubs. Or it may have been Shanahan sending a message that there are consequences for committing dumb penalties.
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
12:00—Jim Haslett news conference followed by Kyle Shananan
12:40–Single practice, players and assistant coaches available coming off the field
Tandler talks options at safety
In case you missed it
- Practice report: Reed steals the show
- How did RG3 look?
- Griffin takes first full-team snaps
- Henderson cut, Barnett working his way back
- Rambo will learn from his mistakes
- Baby steps for RG3
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins 4; Final cuts 16; Redskins @ Packers 31
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery
- Redskins preseason Q&A: Which rookie will have the most impact?
- Redskins position preview: Quarterback
- Is DeSean Jackson's new reality show a distraction?
- NBA free agency causes Redskins safety to speak up
- Why did the Redskins struggle on third down in 2014?
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who will be the third down back?
- No need to rush to judgment on Redskins' RG3