Aug 14, 2013, 5:17 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 14, five days before the Redskins host the Steelers at FedEx Field.
A big step for Griffin
First he said it on Twitter:
There is no friction. There is an understanding between coach and player. That is all. Don’t have to like everything
— Robert Griffin III (@RGIII) August 12, 2013
And, since Mike Shanahan has stated that he isn’t on Twitter and doesn’t read Twitter, Robert Griffin III made an unscheduled stop by the media room at the Bon Secours training center to make sure that everyone got the message.
“I just want everybody to know if there’s any questions about if there’s a rift between me and Coach [Shanahan] or if there’s a conflict,” he said. “There is no conflict. Coach is Coach. I’m the player. Coach has a plan and I’m abiding by that plan. I’m doing everything the coaches are asking me to do. I trust those guys. They want me to have a long career and that’s what part of this plan is about.”
Well, I’m glad we have that settled now. Go on about your business, people.
Griffin finished up his statement by saying, “That being said, I’m excited about tomorrow.”
“Tomorrow” in the statement is, of course, today, the day that RG3 is supposed to take snaps in 11 on 11 drills for the first time since training camp began almost three weeks ago.
It’s a big moment for Griffin but all indications are that it won’t be compelling viewing. I wouldn’t call in sick for work or anything in order to come out and see RG3’s initial full-team work of 2013.
His reps will be limited to fewer than ten, maybe a lot fewer. According to reports his snaps will come against the scout team defense also known as the last string defense. There won’t be any read option plays, nothing fancy out of the pistol formation.
Griffin will hand off a few times, he will throw a few short passes and that will be it.
It will be a big moment for Griffin, a major milestone in what has been, by all appearances, a remarkable recovery from having his knee reconstructive just over seven months ago. But it still will be a baby step for Griffin and baby steps aren’t always exciting except for the baby and for the parents.
We’ll be out there every step of the way to tell you what happens. If you want to join us from the spectator area at Bon Secours training center please do, but keep you expectations low.
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
12:40—Single practice, players available coming off of the field
2:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
Loss of Thomas further thins safety corps
In case you missed it
- RG3: “There is no conflict”
- Practice report: First scuffle of camp
- Thomas out for season with Lisfranc injury
- McNabb says RG3 has been “brainwashed”
- Brandon Jenkins could bolster pass rush
- Reed says he’s healthy but rusty
- Shanahan, RG3 agree on main goal
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins 5; Preseason game No. 3 Bills @ Redskins 10; Eagles @ Redskins 25
Follow Us On Twitter
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game
- Redskins Playbook: Battle for running back reps is on
- Redskins’ left guard competition still undecided