Aug 14, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
RICHMOND—Robert Griffin III did his first team drills today and the first questions that came across on Twitter was some form of, “How did he look?”
The answer is complicated. The short answer is that he looked fine and the longer answer is that we have no idea.
Griffin passed the ball pretty well. He took 16 snaps, some from the Pistol formation and some from under center. In those 16 snaps he threw 10 passes and completed seven. On the three incompletions, one was dropped, one was low and one was picked off by linebacker Ricky Elmore.
Griffin moved around fine, just like he did a year ago in training camp, during the season and, for that matter, like he has since training camp began three weeks ago. He was smooth dropping back, he planted well to throw, his footwork seemed to be in order. Of course there was no hint of a limp.
But here’s the thing; what went on today only vaguely resembled real football. Yes, it was 11 on 11 and they ran football plays and Griffin handed the ball off and threw passes against a defense.
But that’s where the similarity ends. Griffin lined up against the Redskins’ scout team defense. Most of these players are unlikely to be drawing an NFL paycheck come September.
As do all quarterbacks during all practices, Griffin wore the yellow no-contact jersey. For Griffin, it was a yellow flag warning the defense not to come anywhere near this guy. Griffin had a cone of comfort in which to operate. That is a luxury he won’t have if and when he takes the field against the Eagles on Sept. 9.
So, in short, Griffin looked fine but it means nothing. Until he has to plant his right foot and cut to avoid getting hit by someone who intends to do him harm or come up with a burst of speed to elude a defender who is chasing after him we really won’t know how the knee is doing.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden and Vikings coach Mike Zimmer go way back
- RG3 is preparing to start vs. Vikings, Rob Carlin reports
- Ex-Eagle Westbrook says Philly misses D. Jackson badly
- Gruden on RG3 'He's at a hundred percent physically'
- Fantasy Fix - Week 9 rankings: Manning or Brady? Brady or Manning?
- Clark, Williams on Redskins' injury report for Thursday
- Gruden: RG3 won't have any restrictions Sunday
- Gruden: No drop off in expectations for RG3
- Gruden jokes he might just start Colt McCoy after all
- Gruden: We have the intent of starting RG3