Aug 12, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
RICHMOND—The rainstorms that led to the cancellation of two practices last week have brought up the subject of when there might be an indoor practice facility for the Bon Secours training center. The answer is that while one may be constructed one day, the Redskins may just have to get used to the idea of weather having an effect on their practice schedule during training camp for as long as they are in Richmond.
There is space set aside for a bubble, although that space would not allow for the construction of a facility with a 100-yard field. When asked on Saturday if the Redskins were going to build one, Mike Shanahan took his answer in another direction. But Bruce Allen was more direct in May.
During a media tour of the facility, still under construction at the time, Allen told the media that Richmond’s indoor football team, the Raiders, would have to commit to using the bubble during some of the 49 weeks out of the year that the Redskins are based in Ashburn. Otherwise, building one just isn’t economically feasible.
“[An indoor facility] was part of the discussion at the very beginning, 7 or 8 months ago, but it was not a prerequisite,” said Allen.
So while getting some protection from the elements is something that could happen down the road it seems to be far from a certainty.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'