Aug 11, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 10, eight days before the Redskins host the Steelers at FedEx Field.
That Was the Week That Was
—It’s as simple as this—you want a coach who is overly protective of his players’ health when they are rehabbing from injuries and you want a player who wants to get in there and play. In the RG3-Shanahan relationship right now, it’s better to have disagreement than to have the player agree with the coach or, worse, the coach agree with the player.
—Jawan Jamison was a healthy scratch on Thursday (the NFL credits him with one special teams snap) but that doesn’t mean that his chances of making the roster are diminishing. In the preseason Mike Shanahan likes to rotate his running back by the game in the preseason, not by the quarter. He mostly used Evan Royster and Roy Helu Jr. Look for them to get a breather against the Steelers and for Jamison and, if he’s healthy, fellow rookie Chris Thompson to get some more action.
—The Redskins are likely to deal Kirk Cousins at some point in time but later rather than sooner. Of course he’ll be around this year and there is no reason to be in a big hurry to trade him in 2014. Cousins will have two years left on his contract at that point so why trade him unless you get an offer that blows you away? In 2015 he will have on year left on his deal so that would be the last chance to trade him and get some draft pick value for him before he would likely hit free agency in 2016. That should give them enough time to figure out who will back up RG3 moving forward.
—One positive aspect of the Titans game was that there were no turnovers although a key fumble was nullified by a penalty. That’s pretty good in a game with three different quarterbacks and a total of 17 different players handling the ball. The takeaway side of the ledger registered a zero, too. They forced no fumbles but they had legitimate shots at an interception. That was early in the game when it looked like David Amerson had two hands on a Jake Locker pass but he couldn’t hold on. In the second half it looked like Richard Crawford had come up with an end zone pick but the officials ruled it incomplete and there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn.
—It should be noted that even though the penalty that nullified that nice Lance Lewis’ nice TD run and catch in the third quarter was charged to tackle Xavier Nixon, it wasn’t his fault. He was supposed to be covered on the line by a wide receiver but the WR didn’t line up right.
—What has not been noted is that the Redskins win over the Tennessee snapped an 11-game home preseason winning streak for the Titans. Well, maybe it hasn’t been noted because it was/is utterly meaningless. But in any case I wouldn’t want to be a Titan this week; Mike Munchak is serious about winning when it doesn’t count.
In case you missed it
Here are links to all 37 Redskins posts from the past week from here and CSNwashington.com.
- Officials to strictly enforce new pad rules
- Taking it slow with rookie Chris Thompson
- What can Garçon and Davis do together?
- Griffin “may not always like” Shanahan’s plan for his rehab
- Things get a bit feisty at camp
- TE Jordan Reed injures foot
- Coach RG3?
- RG3: “My body has felt good”
- On Thursday, a glimpse of what might have been
- No surprises on initial depth chart
- RG3, Redskins nearing next phase
- Shanahan won’t repeat his mistake
- Cousins to get extra preseason duty
- Helu returning to health
- Practice report: RG3 off (sort of)
- Robinson getting more WR reps
- Preview: Spotlight on Cousins
- Motivated Royster seeks roster spot
- Neild on the comeback trail
- Secondary of the future on display?
- Instant analysis: Captain Kirk in command
- Draft class of ’11 wants to leave its mark
- Thomas suffers foot sprain
- Q&A with Kirk Cousins
- RG3 special airs later this month
- Shortage at guard gives Gettis an opportunity
- Munchak serious about winning in preseason
- Like Rambo, Redskins are a work in progress
- Orakpo: “I just played reckless out there”
- Stock market—up-downs vs. Titans
- Alfred can swing away
Follow Us On Twitter
- VIDEO: McNabb throws out first pitch at Cubs game
- Enemy Intel: Can the Redskins contain Odell Beckham Jr.?
- How will Cavanaugh impact RG3?
- Redskins position preview: Cornerback
- The most overrated and underrated Redskins
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Is play action a cure for Redskins' and RG3's problems?
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery
- Redskins preseason Q&A: Which rookie will have the most impact?