Aug 10, 2013, 6:36 AM EST
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 10, 9 days before the Redskins play the Steelers at FedEx Field.
What I’m looking for today
Here are a few notes on Thursday night’s preseason game for you to digest as the Redskins resume training camp today (presented with the caveat that preseason stats are not reliable indicators of future performances):
—The only surprises among those who did not play were wide receivers Chip Reeves and Devery Henderson. The rest of the scratches were either established veterans or injured. Reeves, an undrafted free agent, is probably on bottom of the 12-player totem pole at wide receiver. He will probably get some snaps later in the preseason but he is the longest of long shots to make the team. The veteran Henderson has not shown much in training camp and his odds of making it are not very good either.
—The Redskins had a typical 2012 day when it came to running the football. They rushed for 163 yards as a team; they averaged 169 yards per game in 2012.
—Washington ran 71 offensive plays. The player with the most snaps on offense was center Kevin Matthews, who played 62 of them. Logan Paulsen was in on 41 snaps on offense plus 13 on special teams. Tennessee ran 54 plays and four Redskins—DeJon Gomes, Jordan Pugh, Richard Crawford, and Vic So’oto—were in for 31 of them. Gomes player 16 special teams snaps, more than anyone else.
—The Redskins had just three 3-and-out series in 11 possessions (all with Rex Grossman at QB, including his first two series). They balanced that out with three series that ran 11 or more plays. That is some pretty good offensive continuity for the first preseason game with 40 different players shuffling in and out of the lineup.
2:00—Practice (open to the public; note that this is a change from the previous schedule, which was for 1:00)
4:00 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
RG3 prepares like he was going to play
In case you missed it
- Like Rambo, Redskins are a work in progress
- Orakpo: “I just played reckless out there”
- Stock market—up-downs vs. Titans
- Alfred can swing away
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins preseason Monday night 9; Eagles @ Redskins 30; Giants @ Redskins 113
Follow Us On Twitter
- NFLPA chief says salary cap will be higher than league projection
- John Riggins joins STL on the 32nd anniversary of Super Bowl XVII
- Former Eagles coach shares memories of competing with Joe Gibbs
- Catch John Riggins on SportsTalk Live tonight at 10 p.m.!
- Will Morris sign a second contract with the Redskins?
- Will the Redskins hold on to NT Cofield?
- 2015 Redskins position outlook: Defensive line
- Redskins 2015 salary cap outlook: Defensive line
- Wings, pizza, queso: What's the best Super Bowl snack?
- Looking at Redskins GM Scot McCloughan's first-round picks with 49ers