Aug 9, 2013, 6:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 9, 10 days before the Redskins play the Steelers at FedEx Field.
NFL: Alfred’s HR swing OK if done correctly
Contrary to earlier reports, Alfred Morris will be able to swing away when he scores a touchdown as long as he does it the right way.
Yes, the NFL rules do prohibit the home run swing that became Morris’ trademark celebration as well as the spinning of the football that both Pierre Garçon and Santana Moss seem to enjoy. However, they are only prohibited when, in the judgement of the officials, they are directed at an opponent. If that happens, it’s taunting.
So as long as Morris doesn’t do his swing over the prone body of a defender he knocked down and as long as Garçon doesn’t spin the ball at the feet of the cornerback he just torched, those celebrations are permissible.
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy cleared up the misinformation that has been going around all week with this tweet.
to clear up bad info re: td celebrations like military salute/spinning ball: only flagged if player does it directly @ opponent
— Brian McCarthy (@NFLprguy) August 7, 2013
h/t to Pro Football Talk
No availability; off day for players
Quick injury update from last night
In case you missed it
- Instant analysis: Captain Kirk in command
- Draft class of ’11 wants to leave its mark
- Thomas suffers foot sprain
- Q&A with Kirk Cousins
- RG3 special airs later this month
- Shortage at guard gives Gettis an opportunity
- Munchak serious about winning in preseason
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins preseason Monday night 10; Final cuts 22; Redskins @ Packers 37
Tandler on Twitter
— Rich Tandler (@Rich_TandlerCSN) August 9, 2013
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?