Aug 8, 2013, 5:00 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 8, the day the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Join us for our game chat
It’s been 214 days since the last one so we know that you can’t wait for our game chat tonight. We’ll get going at about 7:30 to get ready for the 8:00 kickoff against the Titans. We’ll have yours truly from Ashburn, J. P. from the Bethesda studios and an occasional visit from Tarik, who with be at LP Field in Nashville.
Check back right here on tonight and join in the fun.
What else to watch for
Yesterday we posted Tarik’s preview of tonight’s game and gave you some pointers about what to watch for tonight in Tennessee. Let me add a few to his list:
—There is a sub-battle going on for the backup job at left defensive end. Whoever is the second-string LDE will be the starter for the first four games of the season while Jarvis Jenkins sits out due to a suspension. It seems that Golston holds that spot right now but he doesn’t own it. Baker’s best shot is to use his athletic ability to get some pressure on the passer. That is an ability that neither Golston nor Jenkins possesses so Baker can make his mark starting tonight. Golston’s game is dependability and being in the right spot so a mistake-free outing would be big for him.
—The Redskins drafted three developmental offensive linemen last year and two of them are likely to see a lot of playing time tonight. It doesn’t look like Josh LeRibeus will be able to go after he suffered a hyperextended knee in practice on Monday. But as soon as the starters exit the game around the middle of the first quarter both Tom Compton and Adam Gettis will get plenty of playing time. Gettis, in fact, may have to go the distance as the probable absence of LeRibeus and Maurice Hurt’s continued PUP status leaves LeRibeus as the only healthy backup guard. Tevita Stevens could move over from center and Compton was seen taking reps at guard recently so there are others who could fill in. In any case, we’ll get a chance to see how much the second-year linemen have learned since we last saw them play in a game about 11 months ago.
—On the other hand, the team will have plenty of healthy wide receiver dressed. If things go like the usually go in the preseason one of the receivers who is buried on the depth chart will have make a few catches and catch everyone’s eye and will become a darling of the fans. Skye Dawson and Nick Williams are the favorites for that role based on what I’ve seen in camp but don’t sleep on Lance Lewis as your potential sleeper.
Redskins vs. Titans 8:00 p.m. (HD exclusively on Comcast SportsNet, Standard Def also available on Channel 4)
Tandler on Rambo and Amerson
In case you missed it
- Preview: Spotlight on Cousins
- Motivated Royster seeks roster spot
- Neild on the comeback trail
- Secondary of the future on display?
Days until: Steelers @ Redskins preseason Monday night 11; Preseason game 3 Bills @ Redskins 16; Eagles @ Redskins Monday night 32
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeSean Jackson attends Eastern Conference Finals on first day of OTAs
- Redskins' DeAngelo Hall sets target date for return
- Gruden expects 'significant strides' from RG3 in 2015
- Redskins linebackers "gunning" for Brian Orakpo's old spot
- T. Williams, D. Jackson among 4 Skins starters missing at OTAs
- Where do Cousins & McCoy fit on the depth chart? Gruden explains
- Gruden on his and RG3's progress heading into their 2nd year together
- Griffin, Gruden joke about RG3 being a new father
- Need to Know: 5 defensive players with something to prove in OTAs
- Redskins OL Kouandjio on why he left Md. to play at Alabama