Aug 7, 2013, 6:21 AM EST
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, August 7, one day before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Joins us for our game chat
It’s been 213 days since the last one so we know that you can’t wait for our game chat tomorrow. We’ll get going at about 7:30 to get ready for the 8:00 kickoff against the Titans. We’ll have yours truly from Ashburn, J. P. from the Bethesda studios and an occasional visit from Tarik, who with be at LP Field in Nashville.
Check back right here on Thursday evening and join in the fun.
Secondary of the future
On Monday morning, the Redskins released the team’s official depth chart. That afternoon, the entire defense listed as the first team on that depth chart made it on to the field together at the same time for the first time since training camp began on July 25.
The front seven has been solid. The issue has been getting the secondary together. Josh Wilson started camp on the PUP list, DeAngelo Hall suffered a sprained ankle in the early going and Brandon Meriweather has been in and out of practice as he is recovering from a torn ACL. On Monday the three of them were in the backfield with rookie free safety Bacarri Rambo and the starting 11 was on the field.
Indications at training camp yesterday were that the group would not be intact tomorrow in Tennessee. In fact, the starting defensive backfield could have a decidedly 2014 or 2015 look to it.
Rambo, the Redskins’ sixth-round pick, is likely to start along with cornerback David Amerson and strong safety Phillip Thomas, the team’s second- and fourth-round choices respectively. The Redskins hope that those three will be fixtures in the backfield in the future. On Thursday night, they will be the team of the present.
It remains to be seen how long they will play. Mike Shanahan indicated earlier this week that he was thinking about playing his starters for 10-15 plays. But Amerson and Phillips aren’t “starters”, they are rookie reserves who need the work. And even though Rambo is the starter for right now he certainly could use more than about a dozen snaps if he is to remain the starter until the Redskins take on the Eagles in the season opener.
No availability today, team travels to Nashville for tomorrow’s preseason game.
A look at depth at running back
In case you missed it
- Shanahan won’t repeat his mistake
- Cousins to get extra preseason duty
- Helu returning to health
- Practice report: RG3 off (sort of)
- Robinson getting more WR reps
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 1; Final cuts 24; Redskins @ Cowboys 67
Follow Us On Twitter
- Mike Shanahan on RG3: He can still be a franchise QB
- A fairly calm offseason appears to be on tap at Redskins Park
- Redskins spoil Eagles' season but still have a long way to go
- Week 16 rankings: Injuries messing with fantasy Super Bowls
- DeSean Jackson criticizes 'naïve' Eagles defense
- Redskins 27, Eagles 24 thoughts and observations
- Jay Gruden 'impressed' with RG3's performance
- Bashaud Breeland comes up big with fourth quarter pick
- Rookie LB Trent Murphy injures hand in Eagles game
- #RedskinsTalk crew sings RG3-themed Christmas carol