Aug 6, 2013, 5:27 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, August 6, two days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Cousins will pull extra duty in preseason
Kirk Cousins is in an odd spot. Since Robert Griffin III is only a partial participant in training camp practices, Cousins is the No. 1 quarterback during a good chunk of practice including the 11 on 11 drills. And, since Griffin won’t pay in any preseason games, Cousins will fill the first-team duties in those games.
But Cousins is, in reality, the second-team QB. It seems likely that Griffin will be back for the season opener or early in the season. And second-team QB’s play an important role in the offseason. They need to provide a solid level of play after the starter leaves so that the team can properly evaluate the players who are fighting for a job.
So, Cousins will work some extra duty in the preseason starting with the Monday night game against the Steelers. Mike Shanahan explained the situation.
“It is a unique situation with Kirk, but it’s unique throughout the whole preseason, like we talked about,” he said. “We’ve got a game plan, getting these guys ready. Kirk will play more in the second and third game than a normal starter would. We’re going to give him a lot of reps, not necessarily as much probably in this first game.”
Shanahan said that the starter usually goes for about 10-15 plays in the first game so that is what Cousins will work on Thursday in Tennessee. The next game the starter usually goes all of the first quarter and maybe a series or two into the second. So at FedEx Field against the Steelers look for Cousins to go all of the first half.
Game three means a half of work for the starter so Cousins could go as long as three quarters against the Bills. Look for Rex Grossman and Pat White to take all the snaps in the preseason finale as Cousins joins RG3 as a spectator in Tampa.
If all goes well, Cousins will return to his spot on the bench while Griffin takes the reigns against the Eagles on Sept. 9
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
After walkthrough (approx. 11:30)—Player press conference TBA
3:20—Full practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
Moss serves as Robinson’s mentor
In case you missed it
- Griffin “may not always like” Shanahan’s plan for his rehab
- Things get a bit feisty at camp
- TE Jordan Reed injures foot
- Coach RG3?
- RG3: “My body has felt good”
- On Thursday, a glimpse of what might have been
- No surprises on initial depth chart
- RG3, Redskins nearing next phase
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 2; Preseason game 3 vs. Bills 18; Redskins vs. Eagles 34
Follow Us On Twitter
- NFL suspends, fines Irsay under personal conduct policy
- Waiver wire: Viable difference makers are waiting for you
- OPEN THREAD: What can Redskins expect from new safety?
- Silas Redd's hard work pays off with opportunity of a lifetime
- Redskins P Tress Way got an opportunity, seized it
- Redskins Wendy's Q&A, Duke Ihenacho edition
- Redskins happy evaluation is over, preparation has begun
- Texans make Watt highest-paid defender ahead of opener
- Fantasy Fix: The final (top 150 players) countown
- RG3 on Baylor statue: 'It still hasn't hit me' (VIDEO)