Aug 5, 2013, 4:55 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 5, three days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Starting the next phase
The Redskins are transitioning into the second stage of their training camp. After nine days of practices in a 10-day span and doing nothing but hitting each other the Redskins are about to get ready to take on another team.
All but one of the practice days have featured a morning walkthrough and then a more rigorous afternoon session in pads. They aren’t quite done with the two-a-days yet but the light at the end of the tunnel is clearly visible. They will double up today, tomorrow and next Monday and that will be it.
They will not spend the next two days preparing for the Titans, their opponents on Thursday. They will continue to do what they have been doing and they will come out against the Titans with the proverbial vanilla offense and defense. That flavor may include a bit of the Pistol formation since that’s now a staple of the Redskins’ offense, but don’t expect to see any new wrinkles.
They travel to Tennessee on Wednesday and Friday will be an off day. There is one practice on Saturday and after the double dip on Monday it’s single practices Tuesday through Friday and then they pack it up and head back to Ashburn prior to the Monday night preseason game against the Steelers. Then they are in regular season mode with practices at Redskins Park.
The next phase could also be on tap for Robert Griffin III when the Redskins return from Tennessee. Mike Shanahan wouldn’t specify what the next step would in in trying to get him ready for the season opener on Sept. 9. But there really isn’t a whole lot more that he can do that doesn’t involve working in 11 on 11 situations. That’s the only thing he hasn’t done.
But we don’t know for sure and, as noted, Shanahan isn’t talking. Griffin meets with the media after this morning’s walkthrough and it’s unlikely that he will reveal what the next step is, either. Stay tuned, we’ll let you know when it happens.
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
After walkthrough (approx. 11:30)—Robert Griffin III news conference
3:20—Full practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
Rambo feeling comfortable working with the starters
Photobomb courtesy of Donte Stallworth.
In case you missed it
- Officials to strictly enforce new pad rules
- Taking it slow with rookie Chris Thompson
- What can Garçon and Davis do together?
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 3; Final cuts 26; Redskins @ Cowboys 69
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins position preview: Inside linebackers
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?
- NFL to interview players named in Al-Jazeera report, what does that mean for Manning?
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- Need to Know: The top five receivers the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins' Callahan on Lichtensteiger: 'We’re fortunate to have him'
- As deadline approaches, little momentum for Kirk Cousins' long-term deal