Aug 5, 2013, 4:55 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 5, three days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Starting the next phase
The Redskins are transitioning into the second stage of their training camp. After nine days of practices in a 10-day span and doing nothing but hitting each other the Redskins are about to get ready to take on another team.
All but one of the practice days have featured a morning walkthrough and then a more rigorous afternoon session in pads. They aren’t quite done with the two-a-days yet but the light at the end of the tunnel is clearly visible. They will double up today, tomorrow and next Monday and that will be it.
They will not spend the next two days preparing for the Titans, their opponents on Thursday. They will continue to do what they have been doing and they will come out against the Titans with the proverbial vanilla offense and defense. That flavor may include a bit of the Pistol formation since that’s now a staple of the Redskins’ offense, but don’t expect to see any new wrinkles.
They travel to Tennessee on Wednesday and Friday will be an off day. There is one practice on Saturday and after the double dip on Monday it’s single practices Tuesday through Friday and then they pack it up and head back to Ashburn prior to the Monday night preseason game against the Steelers. Then they are in regular season mode with practices at Redskins Park.
The next phase could also be on tap for Robert Griffin III when the Redskins return from Tennessee. Mike Shanahan wouldn’t specify what the next step would in in trying to get him ready for the season opener on Sept. 9. But there really isn’t a whole lot more that he can do that doesn’t involve working in 11 on 11 situations. That’s the only thing he hasn’t done.
But we don’t know for sure and, as noted, Shanahan isn’t talking. Griffin meets with the media after this morning’s walkthrough and it’s unlikely that he will reveal what the next step is, either. Stay tuned, we’ll let you know when it happens.
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
After walkthrough (approx. 11:30)—Robert Griffin III news conference
3:20—Full practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
Rambo feeling comfortable working with the starters
Photobomb courtesy of Donte Stallworth.
In case you missed it
- Officials to strictly enforce new pad rules
- Taking it slow with rookie Chris Thompson
- What can Garçon and Davis do together?
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 3; Final cuts 26; Redskins @ Cowboys 69
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: What are the Redskins' strongest and weakest areas?
- Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona
- DeSean Jackson throws out first pitch at Sunday's Nationals game
- Redskins have many options at tight end, but don't count out Niles Paul
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar