Aug 5, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
RICHMOND—Robert Griffin III isn’t going to retire any time soon, hopefully not until sometime around the 2030 season. But he may want to have a future as a coach and it looks like he wants to start training for it on Thursday.
During his Monday press conference, the rehabbing quarterback was asked how he would respond to sitting out Thursday’s preseason game against the Titans. Griffin said that he wouldn’t like it but “I have to be at peace with it.” Then he talked about what he would do during the game.
“I think the thing that I’m going to have to do is use it as a coaching opportunity for the rest of the QB’s,” said Griffin. “Even though Rex [Grossman] is a vet I can go out there and watch and make sure he sees everything and help these guys be as successful as they can.”
The subject of what he will be doing during the game came up again later in the presser. He reiterated that he will help out Grossman and Kirk Cousins as much as he can. The he said that he might want to take the headset away from offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.
“Maybe Kyle will let me call [plays] a quarter or something,” he said with a big smile.
It seems unlikely that Griffin will don the headset but it sure would liven up what may not be a particularly compelling preseason opener.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Putting the Redskins schedule under the microscope
- OPEN THREAD: Toughest stretch for Redskins
- A guard for the Redskins at 34?
- Redskins' Wk 16 game time vs. Eagles subject to change
- 5 pivotal 2014 Redskins games
- When will Jackson face Eagles and how will he fare? (VIDEO)
- Breaking down the Redskins 2014 schedule (VIDEO)
- Schedule Release: Predicting the Redskins' 2014 games
- Redskins 2014 Schedule: Dates, times officially released
- We (reportedly) have 1/8 of the Redskins 2014 schedule