Aug 3, 2013, 5:53 AM EST
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 3, five days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Will Barnett play special teams?
Usually, backup linebackers play special teams. They are some of the best athletes on the team and have a combination of size and speed that makes the perfect for sprinting downfield to cover kicks.
However, Nick Barnett may not play special teams. He has started every NFL game in which he has played, all 139 of them, and special teams is not a role that starters are expected to fill.
When asked if he had ever played special teams in his career, Barnett initially joked that he hadn’t. The then said that he played punt team his first for years in the NFL.
He started his NFL career in 2003 so his last year on the punt team would be 2006 when he was in Green Bay. George W. Bush was still president, Bret Favre was the Packers’ QB, and Joe Gibbs was in the middle of his second run as the Redskins’ head coach.
It remains to be seen if Barnett will play teams with Barack Obama serving as president, Robert Griffin III as his team’s quarterback (RG3 couldn’t vote for president in 2006), and Mike Shanahan as the Redskins’ head coach.
It doesn’t appear that playing special teams was a condition of Barnett’s employment with Washington. When asked if playing teams came up Barnett said, “Yes and no. We are going to see where we are at when the season starts. I am here to do whatever I am told to do, play, and be the biggest impact I can for this team.”
It would be difficult to carry a linebacker who doesn’t play special teams on the 53-man roster and it would be even tougher to have among the 46 game day actives. But it can be done and the Redskins just might do it.
Today’s Fan Appreciation Day schedule
2:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
According to Redskins.com there will be performances by the Redskins Marching Band and the Redskins cheerleaders prior to practice.
Tarik talks rookie DB’s
In case you missed it
- RG3 (mostly) on target at practice
- Williams’ wrist is “very, very sore”
- Fred Davis is pain free
- Debating Ravens vs. Redskins
- 10 Redskins predate Shanahan
- Morgan says hamstring strain is minor
- Redskins have multiple scenarios at tackle
- Meriweather still recovering from ACL
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 5; Preseason Monday night vs. Steelers 16; Redskins @ Packers 43
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins Pulse: Reaction to RG3's benching
- Shanahan expected to bench RG3, start Cousins
- Other Redskins 'distractions' minor compared to this
- OPEN THREAD: How will RG3 react?
- Shanahan, RG3 press conference live on CSN at 1 p.m.
- Redskins' Cousins ready to play if asked
- Redskins promote RB Jawan Jamison to 53-man roster
- Report: Snyder won't interfere in QB switch
- Shanahan says he's bracing for more controversy
- Cofield didn't see preferential treatment for RG3