Aug 2, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
RICHMOND—And now there are ten.
The Redskins put out their media release for their first preseason game and in the mountain of information there is a chart that tells you when each current member of the team joined the Redskins and how they came into the league.
The chart reveals that we are one away from single digits when counting the number of players who were with the Redskins when Mike Shanahan became the head coach in January of 2010. Ten players on the on the 90-man roster predate the current staff.
The senior Redskins is now Santana Moss, who came in a 2005 trade with the Jets. Coming in the following year via the draft were Reed Doughty and Kedric Golston. London Fletcher came over as a free agent from Buffalo in 2007.
All of those players were brought in when Joe Gibbs was the head coach. In 2008, Vinny Cerrato drafted Fred Davis and Rob Jackson and brought in DeAngelo Hall and Will Montgomery as free agents. The following year Brian Orakpo was the team’s first pick in the draft and Darrel Young came in as a free agent linebacker. Young was converted to fullback.
The Gibbs-Cerrato-Jim Zorn survivors are now 10 of 90 on the roster but it looks like a good bet that they will be 10 of 53 when the season starts since all of them are good bets to make the final roster. Fletcher, Davis, Montgomery, Orakpo, Hall, and Young are starters and the others are key reserves.
(Note: Jackson will have to serve a four-game suspension before his season starts.)
Follow Us On Twitter
- Best of the Best: Sean Taylor or Charley Taylor?
- Is Chris Baker still the best dancer on the Redskins? He weighs in
- Redskins DL Chris Baker on the team's improved defense
- 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' Episode 1 recap: It's finally here
- Redskins position preview: Nose tackle
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who returns punts and kickoffs?
- Redskins position preview: Running back
- Redskins position preview: Defensive end
- Will RG3 benefit from an improved Redskins O-line?
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who starts at strong safety?