Jul 31, 2013, 5:56 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, July 30, nine days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Kerrigan seeks to improve consistency
Ryan Kerrigan was asked yesterday what he wants to work on and improve this season.
The third-year linebacker wants to develop more pass-rushing moves to bring some steadiness to his game “I need to be more consistent in my pass rushing. I’m working on developing more countermoves,” he said. “If something’s not working, I need to be able to work something else.”
I think that many agree that Kerrigan needs to be a more consistent pass rusher. Data from Pro Football Focus backs up that point of view.
In the Redskins’ 17 games last year, Kerrigan was credited with a total of 68 quarterback pressures (9 sacks, 9 hits, 50 hurries). According to PFF he was the seventh-most effective pass rusher among starting 3-4 outside linebackers.
But his pressures came in bunches. He had nine against both the Saints in Week 1 and the Eagles in Week 16. But he had only one against the Falcons (he did intercept a pass and return it for a TD that game) and none in the playoff loss to the Seahawks.
In all, Kerrigan had seven games in which he had five or more quarterback pressures. On the downside there were six games in which he had two or fewer.
There was a five-game stretch in the middle of the season where he had only one sack. And his two sacks against the Eagles in Week 16 were his only sacks of the last six games of the season.
Of course, no player is going to have even numbers across the board for an entire season. There are too many variables such as the player’s physical health and the quality of the opponent. But you’d like to see a bit more consistency, especially in key contests like the playoff game.
It looks like Kerrigan recognizes it and is working hard to achieve it.
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public at the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
After walkthrough (approx. 11:30)—News conference with player TBA
3:20—Full practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
Garçon talks about being the focus
In case you missed it
- Practice report: Moss still getting it done
- Hall has ankle sprain, T. Williams injures wrist
- Kerrigan excited for Orakpo’s return
- LB Nick Barnett visits Redskins
- Forbath aiming for improved kickoffs
- Kehl is ready for anything
- Is Stallworth already on the bubble?
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 8; Final cuts 31; Eagles @ Redskins 40
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Ranking the Redskins' rookies—Who will have the most impact in 2016?
- Kirk Cousins talks hand size, marvels at Russell Wilson
- Report: Former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan to host Donald Trump fundraiser
- 'Full steam ahead' - Kirk Cousins focused on football, not contracts
- Redskins position preview: Outside linebackers
- Red zone, 3rd improvement will be hard to come by for Redskins' offense
- Need to Know: The top five defenses the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins brass gets photo with Axl Rose at Guns n' Roses show
- Redskins position preview: Inside linebackers
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?