Jul 30, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
RICHMOND—The Redskins got Day 5 of their 2013 training camp under their belts today under mostly sunny skies and humidity and temperatures that are starting to feel more like the norms in late July here.
—The highlight play of the day came early. Santana Moss made a one handed catch of a Robert Griffin III pass but it was better than that. Moss reached around E. J. Biggers, who had pretty good coverage on him, and snatched the pass. He can still get it done at age 34. Griffin ran down the field to congratulate his receiver.
—Leonard Hankerson made a nice catch on a Rex Grossman bomb. Biggers again was the victim and again he had good coverage.
—Aldrick Robinson got around the right side in a flash on an end around. I’ve seen enough of him in camp; it’s time to see what he can do in some preseason games.
—I talked about RG3’s hard count yesterday. Today Kirk Cousins barked out signals and pulled cornerback Josh Wilson offside. The cornerback was up in tight coverage and went to bump his man a count too early.
—Working on the side due to injuries today were Brandon Meriweather, Adam Gettis, Donte Stallworth, Chris Thompson, and Jeremy Kimbrough. DeAngelo Hall was watching practice with a boot on his sprained ankle.
—Some quick hits from the one on one pass blocking drills: Barry Cofield blew past Chris Chester . . . Will Montgomery drove Chris Baker onto the ground . . . Trent Williams stood up Brian Orakpo and stonewalled him . . . Rob Jackson put on a move to get by Tom Compton and a few snaps later Jackson spun by Xavier Nixon . . . Orakpo got the best of Williams, who had to hold him to keep the linebacker from breaking free . . . Ryan Kerrigan got under Jeremy Trueblood’s pads (not hard to do) and pushed him around like the tackle was on roller skates.
—One back you don’t need to worry about in pass protection is Darrel Young. He picked up Orakpo on one play and stopped him in his tracks.
—Jordan Pugh had an interception in his hands on an overthrow by Grossman but he dropped it. This team is looking for players who can create turnovers, not turn away gifts.
—Chase Minnifield had a pretty good day even though the players he was defending caught a good number of passes. As with the Hankerson bomb noted earlier, he had some good catches and some excellent passes were thrown his way.
—After a good day yesterday Jordan Reed was not so good today. He had three drops. One of them was borderline, a tough chance near the sideline, but the other two were fairly routine grabs. He’s a rookie and inconsistency is to be expected.
—Attendance at training camp for the day was 7,875 (3,108 for the AM, 4,767 for the PM).
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season