Jul 30, 2013, 5:23 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, July 30, nine days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
Is Stallworth running out of time?
Donte Stallworth was a late free agent arrival for the Redskins this year. He came to minicamp in mid-June to try out for the team. He did well enough to get a roster spot.
But things have not gone well for him here in training camp. He suffered a pulled hamstring on Friday, the second day of practice. That put him out of Saturday’s session and he was still a spectator when practice resumed on Monday.
If his injury lingers on much longer you have to think that it will start to affect his chances of making the team. His odds were somewhat long to begin with. The top four receivers are set with Pierre Garçon, Josh Morgan, Santana Moss, and Leonard Hankerson all locked in. Aldrick Robinson is also likely set as the coaches love his speed.
That leaves the sixth WR spot—if there is one. The Redskins seem to be committed to carrying four tight ends and that might force them to eliminate one wide receiver job. That would place Stallworth on the outside looking in.
But if they do go with six then Stallworth has a shot. But, as they say, you can’t make the club in the tub. If he continues to watch practice instead of participating he doesn’t have much of a chance.
Stallworth, however, does have two things working for him. The coaches know him from when he was in Washington in 2011 and they like him. In addition, no other candidates for the last WR spot are lighting it up. Devery Henderson, signed at the same time as Stallworth, is not showing the burst of speed that was his trademark in New Orleans and Dezmon Briscoe has been inconsistent.
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
After walkthrough (approx. 11:30)—News conference with player TBA
3:20—Full practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:30 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
RG3 shows off improving knee at camp
In case you missed it
- Ramping up RG3
- Hall rolls ankle, will have X-rays
- Practice report: Wilson back in the swing of things
- Neild wants to make up for lost time
- RG3 will wear brace all season
- Davis: “There’s a lot for me to prove”
- Big year 3 for Hankerson, Robinson
- What is the Redskins’ biggest need?
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 9; Preseason game 3 vs. Bills 25; Redskins @ Cowboys 75
Tandler on Twitter
— Rich Tandler (@Rich_TandlerCSN) July 29, 2013
Follow Us On Twitter
- Riggo on the Range: Southern fried bass (VIDEO)
- Redskins' LB Brian Orakpo encouraged by scheme tweaks
- Top 5: Skins already looking ahead to 2015 free agents?
- CSN's Redskins draft board: Tight end
- Need to Know: The five best Redskins performances of the last 20 seasons
- RG3, DeSean Jackson share a night out on the town (PHOTO)
- OPEN THREAD: RG3 back in old form?
- Chris Baker happy to be back with the Redskins (VIDEO)
- Brian Orakpo previews 2014 defense(VIDEO)
- CSN Mock Draft 9.0: Redskins go offense or defense?