Jul 28, 2013, 7:29 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 28, 11 days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
That was the week that was
—The Redskins did host linebacker Joe Mays last night at the Bon Secours Training Center in Richmond. For the time being it appears that he is out of the Redskins’ price range. The salary cap penalty is still biting them. The continued good health of both London Fletcher and Perry Riley will be critical for the Redskins. Hope isn’t a plan but it’s all they have at the moment.
—I hit on this in a post yesterday but the Redskins should be able to fill the hole created by Jarvis Jenkins’ suspension with players they have on hand. They have to fill in about 35 snaps a game with Chris Baker, Kedric Golston, and possibly Phillip Merling. If you can’t do that without making a personnel move you aren’t going anywhere anyway.
—I saw on Twitter (I can’t find the tweet so consider this unverified) that 1,400 people came to watch the Bengals’ training camp practice yesterday. On Saturday in Richmond there were over 11,000 present for the Redskins’ afternoon session alone.
—Perhaps Steve Spurrier isn’t the right comparison to new Eagles’ coach Chip Kelly. After seeing this video of the Eagles using Nerf footballs in a drill in practice I started to believe that Jim Zorn might be a more apt comparison.
—Bacarri Rambo as the starting free safety on opening day may be in the process of evolving from an experiment into a plan. If he can learn to handle the responsibilities of strong safety to the satisfaction of the coaches—the two safeties do have to be interchangeable—it seems likely that he will be in the starting lineup on Sept. 9.
In case you missed it
We know you don’t want to miss a word of our training camp coverage so here is a link to every post from this week, all 40 of them.
- Depth chart preview: How many QB’s?
- RG3 to be examined on Wednesday
- 20 Questions: What will the right tackle depth chart look like?
- More targets for Garçon?
- Was RG3 rushed back?
- RG3 tweets that he’s cleared, will ‘ease in’ to practice; how he will be “eased in”
- 20 Questions: Is Orakpo set for a big contract year?
- 20 Questions: Who will start at free safety?
- RG3 unlikely to play in preseason
- Don’t look for an RG3 practice schedule
- Enemy Intel: Falcons
- Still an important role for Cousins
- 20 Questions: 16 games for No 10?
- Training camp preview—what to look for
- For RG3, preseason games about risk vs. reward
- Shanahan: “We’re going to be very cautious” with RG3
- Carriker to have another surgery
- RG3 says he’ll be “ready to go”
- Robinson out for the season with torn pec
- Practice notes: A limited RG3 still draws cheers
- Shanahan confirms RG3 won’t play in preseason
- RG3 carries a chip on his shoulder
- Enthusiastic crowd greets Redskins
- Redskins release Bernstine
- Next step of RG3’s rehab is on the field
- It’s go time for the Redskins
- Jenkins: “I made an honest mistake”; Shanahan says he’s “disappointed”
- Morris: “I haven’t made it yet”
- K. Robinson’s timetable murky after injury
- With Carriker out, Baker moves to DE
- Muckelroy moves up after Robinson injury
- Rambo, Amerson starting at the top
- Robinson has torn pec, likely out for the season
Follow Us On Twitter
- 25 Redskins questions: Who will be the third-down back?
- Who's the favorite to be the Redskins' top pick?
- Redskins draft board: Cornerback
- If your favorite draft prospect hasn't visited Redskins Park don't worry
- OPEN THREAD: Will Adrian Peterson end up with the Cowboys?
- 25 Redskins questions: More special teams improvement in 2015?
- NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension
- Report: Redskins to host USC's Leonard Williams
- More defense in the draft for the Redskins?
- OPEN THREAD: Do pre-draft visits really mater?