Jul 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
When defensive back coach Raheem Morris called for the first-team secondary to line up in this morning’s walk through, two of the players were rookies.
Second-round pick David Amerson was lined up at cornerback opposite DeAngelo Hall and sixth-rounder Bacarri Rambo was the strong safety. Brandon Meriweather was at strong safety.
To be sure, the lineup for the initial walk through of the year is anything but a strong indicator of what the lineup will look like when the season starts. But, on the other hand, they didn’t draw the names of that group out of a hat. It likely reflects their depth chart as they have it right now.
Amerson’s status on the first team is probably temporary. Josh Wilson started camp on the PUP list but he tweeted that he has been cleared. Still, this could indicate that the team would like Amerson to be able to take the nickel cornerback job.
Rambo happens to play the only position on the team where there is not a returning starter. If he plays well, he could grab onto that free safety job and hold it for the next several years.
There is a long way to go and a lot will happen between now and those several years as a starter for Rambo and a role as a nickel back and, at some point, as a starter for Amerson. But it all has to start somewhere and a walkthrough dept chart is as good a starting point as any.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have been protecting Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined