Jul 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
When defensive back coach Raheem Morris called for the first-team secondary to line up in this morning’s walk through, two of the players were rookies.
Second-round pick David Amerson was lined up at cornerback opposite DeAngelo Hall and sixth-rounder Bacarri Rambo was the strong safety. Brandon Meriweather was at strong safety.
To be sure, the lineup for the initial walk through of the year is anything but a strong indicator of what the lineup will look like when the season starts. But, on the other hand, they didn’t draw the names of that group out of a hat. It likely reflects their depth chart as they have it right now.
Amerson’s status on the first team is probably temporary. Josh Wilson started camp on the PUP list but he tweeted that he has been cleared. Still, this could indicate that the team would like Amerson to be able to take the nickel cornerback job.
Rambo happens to play the only position on the team where there is not a returning starter. If he plays well, he could grab onto that free safety job and hold it for the next several years.
There is a long way to go and a lot will happen between now and those several years as a starter for Rambo and a role as a nickel back and, at some point, as a starter for Amerson. But it all has to start somewhere and a walkthrough dept chart is as good a starting point as any.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Fantasy Fix: Vikings conquer Week 5 waiver wire
- Redskins stock up-stock down
- Redskins Q&A: When will RG3 return?
- Redskins bringing back 2012 draft pick
- Redskins add help to struggling secondary
- Redskins snap counts vs. Giants--Some garbage-time snaps
- Redskins need to increase takeaways
- Fantasy Fix: Relaxed Aaron Rodgers, QBs rock Week 4
- DeAngelo Hall has surgery on Achilles' tendon
- Who will fill the Redskins' two open roster spots?