Jul 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
When defensive back coach Raheem Morris called for the first-team secondary to line up in this morning’s walk through, two of the players were rookies.
Second-round pick David Amerson was lined up at cornerback opposite DeAngelo Hall and sixth-rounder Bacarri Rambo was the strong safety. Brandon Meriweather was at strong safety.
To be sure, the lineup for the initial walk through of the year is anything but a strong indicator of what the lineup will look like when the season starts. But, on the other hand, they didn’t draw the names of that group out of a hat. It likely reflects their depth chart as they have it right now.
Amerson’s status on the first team is probably temporary. Josh Wilson started camp on the PUP list but he tweeted that he has been cleared. Still, this could indicate that the team would like Amerson to be able to take the nickel cornerback job.
Rambo happens to play the only position on the team where there is not a returning starter. If he plays well, he could grab onto that free safety job and hold it for the next several years.
There is a long way to go and a lot will happen between now and those several years as a starter for Rambo and a role as a nickel back and, at some point, as a starter for Amerson. But it all has to start somewhere and a walkthrough dept chart is as good a starting point as any.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden and Vikings coach Mike Zimmer go way back
- RG3 is preparing to start vs. Vikings, Rob Carlin reports
- Ex-Eagle Westbrook says Philly misses D. Jackson badly
- Gruden on RG3 'He's at a hundred percent physically'
- Fantasy Fix - Week 9 rankings: Manning or Brady? Brady or Manning?
- Clark, Williams on Redskins' injury report for Thursday
- Gruden: RG3 won't have any restrictions Sunday
- Gruden: No drop off in expectations for RG3
- Gruden jokes he might just start Colt McCoy after all
- Gruden: We have the intent of starting RG3