Jul 25, 2013, 4:40 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, July 25, 14 days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
So it begins
The Redskins road to defending their NFC East title starts today.
Actually, the team had to hit the road before starting that road. The players and coaches have made their way down to Richmond Virginia, where they will be in the first year of an eight-year agreement to hold training camp in the capital of Virginia. Also make the two and a half hour trek down I-95 (perhaps longer if construction or other issues cause traffic jams) were a lot of the team’s strength equipment, some video gear, support staff, and all of the other things needed to allow the Redskins to operate for the next few weeks.
They’re here and Robert Griffin III is among them. We don’t know exactly what Griffin will be doing while the coaches, as he put it, ease him into practice. But he will be out there throwing the football around and that is what people will come to the Bon Secours Training Center to see.
Griffin spoke to the media yesterday and was confident that being limited in practice and probably not playing in preseason game would not hinder his preparation/ “When it’s time to go full go, I’ll be ready to go,” he said.
Not everybody will be ready to go. Adam Carriker is undergoing another procedure on his injured right leg and he will start camp on the physically unable to perform list. There is word that some other players may join him on PUP but no official list has been released.
When they hit the field today, the focus will turn to the players who are out there. There are probably 20 roster spots that are up for grabs and a handful of starting positions. Seven draft picks from this year will try to make it, as will 10 undrafted players. The big battles for jobs seem to be in the secondary, particularly at safety, and at running back.
We’re ready to go, how about you?
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:00 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
RG3 talks about the training camp plan
In case you missed it
- 20 Questions: 16 games for No 10?
- Training camp preview—what to look for
- For RG3, preseason games about risk vs. reward
- Shanahan: “We’re going to be very cautious” with RG3
- Carriker to have another surgery
- RG3 says he’ll be “ready to go”
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 14; Final cuts 37; Eagles @ Redskins 46
Follow Us On Twitter
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent
- McCloughan wants Johnson to bring Seattle's swagger to Skins
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Duke G Laken Tomlinson
- Who were the best players taken with the No. 5 pick in the NFL draft?
- OPEN THREAD: Does drug test impact Redskins interest in Randy Gregory?
- What positions are the Redskins unlikely to draft at No. 5?
- Redskins exec Doug Williams: 'Nobody has given up on [RG3]'
- Gruden: D-Hall may need to rely on experience, not athleticism
- What does Mariota's visit with the Redskins mean?