Jul 25, 2013, 4:40 AM EDT
RICHMOND—Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, July 25, 14 days before the Redskins open their preseason against the Titans.
So it begins
The Redskins road to defending their NFC East title starts today.
Actually, the team had to hit the road before starting that road. The players and coaches have made their way down to Richmond Virginia, where they will be in the first year of an eight-year agreement to hold training camp in the capital of Virginia. Also make the two and a half hour trek down I-95 (perhaps longer if construction or other issues cause traffic jams) were a lot of the team’s strength equipment, some video gear, support staff, and all of the other things needed to allow the Redskins to operate for the next few weeks.
They’re here and Robert Griffin III is among them. We don’t know exactly what Griffin will be doing while the coaches, as he put it, ease him into practice. But he will be out there throwing the football around and that is what people will come to the Bon Secours Training Center to see.
Griffin spoke to the media yesterday and was confident that being limited in practice and probably not playing in preseason game would not hinder his preparation/ “When it’s time to go full go, I’ll be ready to go,” he said.
Not everybody will be ready to go. Adam Carriker is undergoing another procedure on his injured right leg and he will start camp on the physically unable to perform list. There is word that some other players may join him on PUP but no official list has been released.
When they hit the field today, the focus will turn to the players who are out there. There are probably 20 roster spots that are up for grabs and a handful of starting positions. Seven draft picks from this year will try to make it, as will 10 undrafted players. The big battles for jobs seem to be in the secondary, particularly at safety, and at running back.
We’re ready to go, how about you?
Today’s schedule (all practices open to the public)
10:00—Walkthrough practice, players available to media coming off the field
5:00 (approx.)—Mike Shanahan news conference
RG3 talks about the training camp plan
In case you missed it
- 20 Questions: 16 games for No 10?
- Training camp preview—what to look for
- For RG3, preseason games about risk vs. reward
- Shanahan: “We’re going to be very cautious” with RG3
- Carriker to have another surgery
- RG3 says he’ll be “ready to go”
Days until: Redskins @ Titans preseason opener 14; Final cuts 37; Eagles @ Redskins 46
Follow Us On Twitter
- Shanahan on RG3's struggles: Injuries not the issue
- OPEN THREAD: Should the Redskins do Hard Knocks?
- Redskins OTA to-do list: Outside linebackers
- Examining Redskins' RG3's passing under pressure
- PHOTO: RG3 returns to social media to share birth of baby girl
- Redskins at the crossroads: RB Chris Thompson
- Five offensive players with work to do during Redskins OTAs
- Redskins OTA to-do list: Wide receivers and tight ends
- Redskins Ryan Kerrigan named to NFL's Top 100 list
- OPEN THREAD: How will new extra point rule affect Kai Forbath?