Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 21, four days before the Redskins open training camp.
That was the week that was
—This isn’t fantasy football advice that you should follow or anything but it’s a pretty safe bet that Redskins receivers not named Pierre Garçon will see fewer passes thrown their way this season compared to last. He was targeted once every 6.3 snaps last year (433 snaps, 64 targets). If he keeps up that pace and plays 300 more snaps, the minimum he is likely to play if he’s healthy for 14-16 games, he will get targeted about 50 more times. They may pass a little more than they did last year but we still should see fewer targets for Santana Moss (64 in 2012), Leonard Hankerson (59) and Josh Morgan (76)
—I am fairly confident that Robert Griffin III will not start camp on PUP and equally confident that he will not participate fully in practices for at least a week or two. If he is on PUP he will be able to do less than he did in minicamp and that makes no sense. But 11 on 11 drills can be quite dangerous even though the QB’s are wearing the yellow shirts. Things get pretty competitive in those and there is occasionally accidental contact with the QB. That could be a disaster.
—I have no problem with Brian Orakpo telling everyone who will listen that he is fully healthy and ready to roll for 2013. I do wish he would tone down the defensive player of the year talk. He should et his play do the talking.
—There will probably be some surprising cuts when the roster is trimmed to 53 players on August 31. But I have no idea who they might be. I’m rolling out my pre-camp roster projection over the next few days and I don’t see much that is going to shock people. It’s a pretty well settled team and that’s a good thing.
In case you missed it
- Santana Moss can still produce
- 20 questions: Who will be the nickel back?
- The Week That Was: Too confident about stopping option?
- RG3’s rehab “smashes” expectations
- Depth chart preview: Young has fullback spot locked down
- 20 Questions: Will Davis have a big season?
- Can Neild and Baker both make the roster?
- Cooley joins Redskins radio team
- 20 Questions: Is the D-line deep enough?
- With new rules, no pads, no play
- Enemy Intel: Giants retool defense
- Orakpo says he’s “300 percent” healthy
- Depth chart preview: Who steps up at free safety?
- 20 Questions: A breakout year for Hankerson?
- Can Morris thrive without the read option?
- Will Kai Forbath work his 2012 magic again?
- Enemy Intel: Chiefs
- Are the Redskins an odds-on choice to make the playoffs?
- Will RG3 start camp on the PUP?
- 20 Questions: Can rookie DB’s contribute in 2013?
- Point-Counterpoint: Which team will be the Redskins biggest threat in the NFC East?
Follow Us On Twitter
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown