Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 21, four days before the Redskins open training camp.
That was the week that was
—This isn’t fantasy football advice that you should follow or anything but it’s a pretty safe bet that Redskins receivers not named Pierre Garçon will see fewer passes thrown their way this season compared to last. He was targeted once every 6.3 snaps last year (433 snaps, 64 targets). If he keeps up that pace and plays 300 more snaps, the minimum he is likely to play if he’s healthy for 14-16 games, he will get targeted about 50 more times. They may pass a little more than they did last year but we still should see fewer targets for Santana Moss (64 in 2012), Leonard Hankerson (59) and Josh Morgan (76)
—I am fairly confident that Robert Griffin III will not start camp on PUP and equally confident that he will not participate fully in practices for at least a week or two. If he is on PUP he will be able to do less than he did in minicamp and that makes no sense. But 11 on 11 drills can be quite dangerous even though the QB’s are wearing the yellow shirts. Things get pretty competitive in those and there is occasionally accidental contact with the QB. That could be a disaster.
—I have no problem with Brian Orakpo telling everyone who will listen that he is fully healthy and ready to roll for 2013. I do wish he would tone down the defensive player of the year talk. He should et his play do the talking.
—There will probably be some surprising cuts when the roster is trimmed to 53 players on August 31. But I have no idea who they might be. I’m rolling out my pre-camp roster projection over the next few days and I don’t see much that is going to shock people. It’s a pretty well settled team and that’s a good thing.
In case you missed it
- Santana Moss can still produce
- 20 questions: Who will be the nickel back?
- The Week That Was: Too confident about stopping option?
- RG3’s rehab “smashes” expectations
- Depth chart preview: Young has fullback spot locked down
- 20 Questions: Will Davis have a big season?
- Can Neild and Baker both make the roster?
- Cooley joins Redskins radio team
- 20 Questions: Is the D-line deep enough?
- With new rules, no pads, no play
- Enemy Intel: Giants retool defense
- Orakpo says he’s “300 percent” healthy
- Depth chart preview: Who steps up at free safety?
- 20 Questions: A breakout year for Hankerson?
- Can Morris thrive without the read option?
- Will Kai Forbath work his 2012 magic again?
- Enemy Intel: Chiefs
- Are the Redskins an odds-on choice to make the playoffs?
- Will RG3 start camp on the PUP?
- 20 Questions: Can rookie DB’s contribute in 2013?
- Point-Counterpoint: Which team will be the Redskins biggest threat in the NFC East?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries