Jul 19, 2013, 6:02 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 19, six days before the Redskins start training camp.
FO gives Redskins solid chances at playoffs
Football Outsiders has published its annual almanac (PDF is available now, print edition coming soon). That used to be an occasion that made Redskins fans cringe as the writers would excoriate the absence of a team-building plan and make dire predictions for the season to come.
What a difference having a quarterback in a quarterback-driven league makes.
Doug Farrar, who wrote the Redskins section of the book, said that the acquisition of Robert Griffin III was “a rare and worthy all-in push on a franchise-altering player.” They believe that it altered the franchise to the point where they are not only no longer laughingstocks but a team with a legitimate chance at being Super Bowl contenders.
FO is very confident that the Redskins will not slip back into mediocrity like they have after other promising seasons in the past. They give them only a 9 percent chance of winning seven or fewer games. That flips into the Redskins having a 91 percent chance of having at least a .500 record.
The most jaw-dropping number presented is their postseason odds. The Redskins have a 74.2 percent chance of being a playoff participant. Their Super Bowl odds are 17.6 percent. If you translate those into Vegas style odds they would be an odds-on 1 to 3 shot at making the playoffs and about 6 to 1 to make the Super Bowl.
There is a ton of other great information about both the Redskins and every other team in the league so I would strongly recommend you get the book. Redskins fans will be happy to see some independent confirmation that their team is headed in the right direction from a source that has been very critical of the organization in the past.
Google Hangout with Tarik, Tinsman
In case you missed it
- Can Morris thrive without the read option?
- Will Kai Forbath work his 2012 magic again?
- Enemy Intel: Chiefs
Days until: Training camp starts 6; Preseason Game 3 vs. Bills 36; Final cuts 43
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?