Skip to content

Has Mason already made it?

Aug 30, 2009, 6:22 PM EDT

Comments Off on Has Mason already made it?

Did a slip on the tongue on the part of Sherman Smith tip off a key roster decision?

Jason Reid Barry Svrluga recounted a conversation with Smith, the Washington Redskins offensive coordinator, in his Redskins Insider blog. The subject was Clinton Portis and his relative lack of production in the preseason. Here is what Smith said to Reid:

“Might as well not be concerned about it, because it is what it is,” Smith said. “He [Portis] hasn’t gotten a lot of reps this offseason, but he usually doesn’t. It’s just one of those situations where you say, ‘Hey, let’s see how it works out.’ What we’re doing is we’re just trying to get ready, inevitably. If he does go down, Ladell, Rock, Marcus — those guys will be ready to play.”

So Ladell, Rock and Marcus will be ready to play? Hmmm. Obviously he’s not referring to Portis “going down” in the final preseason game on Thursday since it’s already been announced that Portis will sit out against the Jaguars. It’s seems obvious that Smith is referring to the regular season.

While the coaches would like you to believe that a large number of roster spots are dependent on the last preseason game, that’s not true. A few names are put on the board with a dry erase marker; most of the 53-man roster is on the board with a Sharpie.

Perhaps Smith unwittingly tipped us off that Marcus Mason is on the board in permanent ink.

  1. Kristen - Aug 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM

    I hope they keep Mason this go round! HTTR!

  2. tdbowles - Aug 31, 2009 at 9:14 PM

    The talking heads on sports radio in town are saying that Mason doesn’t pass block well enough to make the team. I don’t agree and think that he would add an excellent component to the offense and seems to be a good locker-room guy. I hope he can tough it out and play thursday night.

  3. john kocsak - Sep 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM

    Marcus Mason can’t block? Did any of those guys see the Partoits Game and the block Mason had to set up Jason’s 4 yard TD run? If it wasn’t for that good block Campbell could’ve been sacked for a loss! Those guys secretly work for the Cowboys and want to creat problems for the team that’s going to crush them this year! HAIL REDSKINS

  4. Rich Tandler - Sep 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

    For some reason it was OK for Betts to do the matador thing for years (he still hasn’t found Ed Reed to this day) but now there are a few issues with Mason and he has to be shown the door right away.

    It seems clear that an extra back is going to stick. Cerrato as much as said so on the radio today. I’ll say it’s a 60% chance that it’s Mason, about 25% chance it’s Aldridge (a Vinny fave, evidently), and 15% it’s Dorsey. Archives

Follow Us On Twitter