Aug 25, 2009, 8:53 AM EDT
Here is a look at the roster projections I made before training camp and how they stand up midway through the preseason schedule. Today, the offense:
Tight Ends—On the roster (3): Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Todd Yoder. First off: Robert Agnone
No changes here, Agnone has displayed some flashes of talent but even a practice squad spot seems to be a long shot.
Offensive Line—On the roster (9): Chris Samuels, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Randy Thomas, Stephon Heyer, Jeremy Bridges, Chad Reinhart, Devin Clark, Edwin Williams. First off: Mike Williams.
It looks like they will give Mike Williams a full year to attempt his comeback, so he is on. Clark lost a lot of hope for making the roster by having to sit out the Pittsburgh game with an injury and it looks like he faces another year on the practice squad. It also appears the Will Montgomery will make it as the backup center, pushing E. Williams to the waiver wire.
Wide Receiver—On the roster (5): Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Marko Mitchell. First off: Marques Hagans.
I went with Mitchell from the beginning and there certainly is no reason to change now. Mitchell is raw but you can teach route running and catching technique; you can’t teach 6-4 and raw speed. D. J. Hackett now seems to be the first alternate since he knows Zorn’s offense but, barring injury, he probably won’t make it.
Quarterback—On the roster (3): Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan. First off: Chase Daniel.
While it would be premature to swap Daniel to making the roster and push Brennan out it could happen. Brennan has the advantage of a year under his belt in Zorn’s offense and height more suited to an NFL QB. Daniel seems to be smoother mechanically and has every bit the competitive fire that Brennan possesses.
Running Back-Fullback—On the roster (4): Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Mike Sellers. First off: Marcus Mason
Cartwright’s spot is quite secure given the departures of fellow special teams studs James Thrash and Khary Campbell. It’s possible that the team will find a spot for Mason or for Dominique Dorsey but it won’t come at the expense of Cartwright.
Changes made: M. Williams and Montgomery on, E. Williams and Clark off.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: The Redskins' best defensive games of 2015
- Seven months after switch, Redskins vet DeAngelo Hall is settling in at safety
- Need to Know: The Redskins are setting Cousins up for success
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins consults current and former NFL starters for advice
- Need to Know: Redskins couldn't take advantage of fumble recoveries
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury