Aug 21, 2009, 5:00 AM EDT
The 1991 Redskins were one of the best teams in NFL history. One of their benchmarks of excellence was their 11-0 start. The last of those 11 consecutive victories came at Three Rivers Stadium. The Redskins dominated and, in the process, clinched a playoff spot well before Thanksgiving.
From the pages of The Redskins Chronicle:
Three Rivers Stadium—The Redskins clinched the first berth in the 1991 NFL playoffs as Mark Rypien passed for 225 yards and two touchdowns. The 41-14 win over the Steelers also made Washington one of nine NFL teams ever to start a season with 11 straight wins.
The Redskins jumped to a 17-0 halftime lead, getting it done on both sides of the ball. On their first offensive possession, Mark Rypien completed a 63-yard pass to Art Monk, who was brought down at the Pittsburgh one. Gerald Riggs pounded it over on the next play. After Chip Lohmiller kicked a 36-yard field goal, some fancy footwork by Monk helped the receiver stay inbounds on an 11-yard TD pass from Rypien.
Meanwhile, the defense was giving nothing to the Steeler offense. During the first half, Pittsburgh was permitted to run just one play in Washington territory and that resulted in a sack and fumble. It was one of five sacks on the day for the Washington defense.
Another field goal and another one-yard Riggs run stretched the Washington lead to 27-0 before the Steelers got some offensive life, scoring twice to cut the lead to 27-14 midway through the final period. “I don’t know about anyone else,” said Joe Gibbs, “but I was worried.”
Gibbs’ fears were allayed less than three minutes later when Rypien and Gary Clark hooked up on a 49-yard touchdown bomb to put it away for good.
The Redskins Chronicle is Brain Food for Redskins Fans. To get all you need to know about the Skins from 1937 through last season, take a look at http://RedskinsChronicle.com.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Skins need Aqib Talib (VIDEO)
- Redskins go into free agency with $19.6 million in cap space
- CSN Mock Draft 4.0 - Where does Clowney go?
- Redskins deny report that they didn't carry over cap space
- Possible free agents for Skins (VIDEO)
- Redskins Nation 18 Plays (VIDEO)
- Report: Redskins 'leading contender' for Sproles
- Free agency primer: Defensive players Redskins fan should know
- Riley a potential free agent bust
- Redskins interested in Byrd but asking price may be prohibitive