Aug 2, 2009, 4:07 PM EDT
Sometimes you have to read between the lines to get the answers you’re looking for.
During the offseason, there has been speculation that the Washington Redskins might choose to keep both Colt Brennan and Colt Daniel and release the 38-year-old Todd Collins. The thinking was that Collins is not the long-term answer at quarterback so why not go with a youth movement and have a leg up should Jason Campbell leave via free agency at the end of the season.
Again, this was based on nothing more than musings but still something that warranted some attention. There also was speculation that if Daniel performed well Zorn might keep four quarterbacks.
Until Saturday, that is. After practice, Jim Zorn was asked if there was any chance that he would keep both Brennan and Daniel on the final roster.
“I’m not going to keep four quarterbacks,” Zorn replied. “I can’t. I will not do that. That’s tough.”
Given the context it’s clear that Collins is safe. And when looking at the big picture it makes sense. While I’m not with those who say that the Redskins must make the playoffs in order for Zorn to keep his job, an ugly 6-10 would almost certainly have Dan Snyder push him out the door. A veteran quarterback who can stop the bleeding is a good insurance policy to have around if Jason Campbell gets injured or is ineffective.
To take it a step further, it doesn’t seem possible for Daniel to make the roster. Both he and Brennan were highly productive college quarterbacks who face a long adjustment to the pro-style game. Brennan, however, already has a more than a year of learning under his belt while Daniel has just three months. Daniel would have to shine brightly while Brennan would have to fall flat on his face for Zorn to choose Daniel over Brennan.
The quarterback picture seemed to be pretty solid going into camp. Now, three days in, it’s etched in stone.
Follow Us On Twitter
- OPEN THREAD: Should the Redskins do Hard Knocks?
- Redskins OTA to-do list: Outside linebackers
- Examining Redskins' RG3's passing under pressure
- PHOTO: RG3 returns to social media to share birth of baby girl
- Redskins at the crossroads: RB Chris Thompson
- Five offensive players with work to do during Redskins OTAs
- Redskins OTA to-do list: Wide receivers and tight ends
- Redskins have some salary cap breathing room for a change
- Redskins Ryan Kerrigan named to NFL's Top 100 list
- OPEN THREAD: How will new extra point rule affect Kai Forbath?