Aug 2, 2009, 4:07 PM EDT
Sometimes you have to read between the lines to get the answers you’re looking for.
During the offseason, there has been speculation that the Washington Redskins might choose to keep both Colt Brennan and Colt Daniel and release the 38-year-old Todd Collins. The thinking was that Collins is not the long-term answer at quarterback so why not go with a youth movement and have a leg up should Jason Campbell leave via free agency at the end of the season.
Again, this was based on nothing more than musings but still something that warranted some attention. There also was speculation that if Daniel performed well Zorn might keep four quarterbacks.
Until Saturday, that is. After practice, Jim Zorn was asked if there was any chance that he would keep both Brennan and Daniel on the final roster.
“I’m not going to keep four quarterbacks,” Zorn replied. “I can’t. I will not do that. That’s tough.”
Given the context it’s clear that Collins is safe. And when looking at the big picture it makes sense. While I’m not with those who say that the Redskins must make the playoffs in order for Zorn to keep his job, an ugly 6-10 would almost certainly have Dan Snyder push him out the door. A veteran quarterback who can stop the bleeding is a good insurance policy to have around if Jason Campbell gets injured or is ineffective.
To take it a step further, it doesn’t seem possible for Daniel to make the roster. Both he and Brennan were highly productive college quarterbacks who face a long adjustment to the pro-style game. Brennan, however, already has a more than a year of learning under his belt while Daniel has just three months. Daniel would have to shine brightly while Brennan would have to fall flat on his face for Zorn to choose Daniel over Brennan.
The quarterback picture seemed to be pretty solid going into camp. Now, three days in, it’s etched in stone.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Nick Foles on DeSean Jackson: 'He was a great teammate to me'
- Who will replace Fletcher in the middle for the Redskins?
- Draft dominates week's top five Redskins posts
- Riggo on the Range: Southern fried bass (VIDEO)
- Redskins' LB Brian Orakpo encouraged by scheme tweaks
- Top 5: Skins already looking ahead to 2015 free agents?
- CSN's Redskins draft board: Tight end
- Need to Know: The five best Redskins performances of the last 20 seasons
- RG3, DeSean Jackson share a night out on the town (PHOTO)
- OPEN THREAD: RG3 back in old form?