Collins safe; Daniel, Brennan will battle for spot

Aug 2, 2009, 4:07 PM EDT

Comments Off

The QB situation is becoming clear

Sometimes you have to read between the lines to get the answers you’re looking for.

During the offseason, there has been speculation that the Washington Redskins might choose to keep both Colt Brennan and Colt Daniel and release the 38-year-old Todd Collins. The thinking was that Collins is not the long-term answer at quarterback so why not go with a youth movement and have a leg up should Jason Campbell leave via free agency at the end of the season.

Again, this was based on nothing more than musings but still something that warranted some attention. There also was speculation that if Daniel performed well Zorn might keep four quarterbacks.

Until Saturday, that is. After practice, Jim Zorn was asked if there was any chance that he would keep both Brennan and Daniel on the final roster.

“I’m not going to keep four quarterbacks,” Zorn replied. “I can’t. I will not do that. That’s tough.”

Given the context it’s clear that Collins is safe. And when looking at the big picture it makes sense. While I’m not with those who say that the Redskins must make the playoffs in order for Zorn to keep his job, an ugly 6-10 would almost certainly have Dan Snyder push him out the door. A veteran quarterback who can stop the bleeding is a good insurance policy to have around if Jason Campbell gets injured or is ineffective.

To take it a step further, it doesn’t seem possible for Daniel to make the roster. Both he and Brennan were highly productive college quarterbacks who face a long adjustment to the pro-style game. Brennan, however, already has a more than a year of learning under his belt while Daniel has just three months. Daniel would have to shine brightly while Brennan would have to fall flat on his face for Zorn to choose Daniel over Brennan.

The quarterback picture seemed to be pretty solid going into camp. Now, three days in, it’s etched in stone.

1. WARPATH85 - Aug 3, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Still think Collins is shuffling back to Buffalo!

2. Joe in Raleigh - Aug 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I mentioned this in another post, but I wonder if they will consider keeping just 2 QBs and stashing Daniels on the practice squad.

I’m not sure Collins is the ideal insurance policy. How well has he adapted to the West Coast Offense? It will be interesting to see how he does in preseason.

3. robbybear - Aug 4, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Zorn’s answer to the question was a very clever dodge of the question. If he didn’t think he could keep both Brennan and Daniel, he wouldn’t have answered the way he did. He would have said something like: “I can’t keep both of them”

If I were a betting man, based on Zorn’s answer, the Skins will let Collins go if Daniel shines enough during pre-season.

4. Rich - Aug 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM

@Joe, I would be very surprised to see Collins go. He did struggle in the preseason last year but everyone has problems in Year 1 of Zorn’s O.

@Robby, not sure how you come up with that. The question was specifically about keeping both Brennan and Daniel and the answer was no. I think you’re parsing it a little too much.

5. robbybear - Aug 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM

We’ll see, Rich. I’m sure Collins still has it “upstairs”, but physically, he’s gone downhill pretty fast.

6. 5-0 - Aug 7, 2009 at 2:38 PM

A little premature on this Rich. From what I have gathered, TC has been awful in camp and CB and CD have been solid. You’ve been there, what are you seeing at this point?