Redskins will (again) say no to Vick

Jul 28, 2009, 7:32 AM EST

Comments Off

I wasn’t going to do it.

I wasn’t going to write anything on the subject of Michael Vick joining the Washington Redskins. But when dozens of tweets go out on the subject, when my Facebook post about my article about the offensive line generates a string of Vick comments, when a Google search for “redskins vick” news turns in over 2,200 results, when the lead story of Pro Football Talk this morning is “Don’t rule out” Vick to the Redskins, it’s time.

There are a few reasons why this won’t happen. According to Florio in his PFT article, the Redskins would sign Vick to run him in the Wildcat formation 10-12 times a game and then let him compete for the job if Campbell leaves after his contract is up. The problem with that scenario is that Jim Zorn is not about to jump on the Wildcat bandwagon. He doesn’t like it; he wants his team focusing on getting the hang of the base offense before running any gimmicks. And if he did want to run it he has the perfect player to do it on the roster already in former Indiana quarterback Antwaan Randle El.

Even if Zorn liked the Wildcat, the last thing this team needs is the distraction of the media hysteria that would descend on Ashburn in exchange for getting a player who might play a dozen snaps a game. As Ryan O’Halloran said in the Times, “If Dan Snyder truly wants to give Jim Zorn every chance to succeed, he won’t sign Vick and the 10-ring circus that will come with it.”

There are plenty of other reasons which I outlined back in June, when John Keim reported that the Redskins had ruled out bringing in Vick.

I suppose there is a chance that Vick will wind up in Washington. But there’s also a chance that a meteorite will land in the reflecting pool today, too.

1. Nell - Jul 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Vick ran the WCO in ATL under Jim Mora Jr. who is now in Seattle running the WCO. You have no idea what you are talking about. Have a good day.

2. Rich - Jul 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Well, Nell, I’m not exactly sure what one has to do with the other. More than a dozen NFL teams run the WCO. And, it just so happens that Vick was a terrible fit for the WCO.

We’ll see who knows what he’s talking about.

3. Nell - Jul 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Vick had one target in ATL and it was the TE. We have Cooooolllleeeyyyyy!
    Horrible fit? Vick is a play maker. He single handily won games. Only QB to pass for over 250 yards and run for 100 yards in a single game. 2x Pro Bowler.

How soon people forget.

If Synder can go after Cutler, Leftwich and Sanchez. He will entertain Vick.

4. Rich - Jul 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Cerrato said no in July, he said no last week and he said no again today. And, of course, the difference between the 3 QB’s you mention and Vick is that the other three have played football since 2006.

Again, we will see.

5. Eric - Jul 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I agree with you that the Skins shouldn’t sign him. It also makes sense as to why the Skins wouldn’t sign him, especially Zorn’s feelings on the wildcat. But I have to say, we’ve learned in the past sanity and rationality are not required for Snyder to do anything. He’s a big star guy and even if he’s more hated than not, it would be a high profile player who is a star.

• Rich - Jul 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM

When did I miss Snyder signing a convicted felon whose presence would cause an atomic disruption? And at this point Vick is a “name” and a “celebrity”, not a “star”.

6. Eric - Jul 28, 2009 at 3:52 PM

You surely didn’t miss that one, but he has a record of out doing himself and this would certainly be that. As for felons, we went out and got Haynesworth who has some issues with the law in his past and present. I think that was a good move, but the signing felons part is not exactly a hard one to prove.

7. Brewdog - Jul 28, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Snyder already took an anti-PC stand over the whole Redskins name issue. So if Dan thinks for one second that Vick would improve the team, I don’t think he will be worrying about PETA.

And didn’t Vick sit through PETA’s little encounter session anyway? No one but the most hard-core animal rights zealot would believe that the man hasn’t paid his dues.

Sign him, I say! Sign him up before someone else does!

8. Rich - Jul 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Thanks for your comment Brewdog (and Eric and Nell). But if you think that the team name, a subject that has been talked and beaten to death over the past 30+ years, and the red-hot Vick volcano are on the same plane, well, we’re just going to strongly disagree there.

It’s like saying that you let your kid have a BB gun so it follows that you’re going to let him have an AK-47.

9. Steve in TN - Jul 31, 2009 at 6:54 PM

All I have to say is I’m staying the heck away from the reflecting pool…