Jul 28, 2009, 8:00 PM EDT
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, in the last of the series, defensive backs:
Who’s here Now: (13) Cornerbacks: Kevin Barnes, Doug Dutch, DeAngelo Hall, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot, Justin Tryon, Byron Westbrook Safeties: Michael Grant, Kareem Moore, Reed Doughty, LaRon Landry, Lendy Holmes, Chris Horton.
How many will stick: 9
Starters: Hall and Rogers at cornerback, Landry and Horton at safety—Hall isn’t expected to be a shutdown corner but one who will gamble and win often enough to make some big plays. Rogers is underrated and in his contract year. He could play at a Pro Bowl level. Landry didn’t exactly have sophomore slump but he didn’t have the breakout to stardom many predicted for him. Horton was a great story last year and he should continue to improve.
Solid backups: Smoot, Barnes, Tryon, Moore –Smoot may be slowing down a bit and Tryon and Barnes will push to be his replacement at nickel back in 2010 if not sooner. Moore is a solid hitter who needs to hone his coverage skills some more to warrant more playing time.
Last man on: Doughty—He’s an over achiever who’s good to have on the team. He rarely makes a costly mistake.
First man off: Westbrook—Unfortunately, he won’t be eligible for the practice squad since he’s been on it two years.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins running back depth chart update
- Five NFL draft notes including the pick at 34
- Draft chatter: Delay of game
- Redskins' Forbath aims to build on last season's late surge
- Will Haslett's "uncuffed" defensive scheme work for the Redskins?
- No NFL schedule announcement this week
- Will Santana Moss make the Redskins' roster?
- OPEN THREAD: How many sacks for Jason Hatcher?
- Jackson reports to work at Redskins Park
- CSN's Redskins draft board: Quarterback