Jul 27, 2009, 8:00 PM EST
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the tight ends:
Like with the specialists, there isn’t much of a point in deep analysis at this position. Pro Bowler Chris Cooley is the starter and Fred Davis and Todd Yoder are the backups. Rookie free agent Robert Agnone has impressive size at 6-6, 260 but a practice squad berth seems to be the best that he can hope for.
Cooley could have a better season than in 2008 but fail to make the Pro Bowl. Two quality, high-profile tight ends have come over to the NFC this past offseason in Tony Gonzalez and Kellen Winslow. Add in perennial Pro Bowl participant Jason Witten (and although the reputations of some who have to blue star on their helmets are overblown, I don’t believe that to be the case with Witten) and you have four excellent players jockeying for one spot. There will be two odd men out.
Spots taken so far: 37
- Tight end—3
- Offensive line—9
- Running back—4
- Defensive line—10
- Wide Receiver—5
Spots to go: 16
Follow Us On Twitter
- Other Redskins 'distractions' minor compared to this situation
- OPEN THREAD: How will RG3 react?
- Shanahan, RG3 press conference live on CSN
- Redskins' Cousins ready to play if asked
- Redskins promote RB Jawan Jamison to 53-man roster
- Report: Snyder won't interfere in QB switch
- Shanahan says he's bracing for more controversy
- Cofield didn't see preferential treatment for RG3
- Shanahan blasts special teams
- 2014 Redskins' top five areas of need