Jul 27, 2009, 8:00 PM EDT
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the tight ends:
Like with the specialists, there isn’t much of a point in deep analysis at this position. Pro Bowler Chris Cooley is the starter and Fred Davis and Todd Yoder are the backups. Rookie free agent Robert Agnone has impressive size at 6-6, 260 but a practice squad berth seems to be the best that he can hope for.
Cooley could have a better season than in 2008 but fail to make the Pro Bowl. Two quality, high-profile tight ends have come over to the NFC this past offseason in Tony Gonzalez and Kellen Winslow. Add in perennial Pro Bowl participant Jason Witten (and although the reputations of some who have to blue star on their helmets are overblown, I don’t believe that to be the case with Witten) and you have four excellent players jockeying for one spot. There will be two odd men out.
Spots taken so far: 37
- Tight end—3
- Offensive line—9
- Running back—4
- Defensive line—10
- Wide Receiver—5
Spots to go: 16
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?