Jul 27, 2009, 3:30 PM EDT
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the offensive line:
Who’s here Now: (14) Guard: Derrick Dockery, Will Montgomery, Rueben Riley, Chad Rinehart, Randy Thomas, D’Anthomy Batiste. Center: Edwin Williams, Casey Rabach. Tackles: Jeremy Bridges, Scott Burley, Devin Clark, Chris Samuels, Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer
How many will stick: 9
Starters: Left to right—Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, Thomas, Heyer. I don’t have to tell you that everyone involved with the Redskins is holding their breath over this situation. Each of them will have a question mark floating over his head throughout the season: At age 32, can Samuels stay healthy? Why did Buffalo cut Dockery even though they had no replacement and had to eat a good-sized chunk of dead camp money? Is Rabach suited to handling the 3-4 defenses that are becoming prevalent? Does Thomas still have it at age 33? Can Heyer perform consistently for 16 games?
Solid backups: Bridges, Rinehart—Bridges has started 39 games in six NFL seasons. He is able to play guard and could fill in on the left side in a pinch. Rinehart seemed lost last year but I don’t think that they are going to give up on him quite that quickly.
Last men on: Clark, E. Williams—I can’t see going without a backup center and Williams, a rookie free agent, will have every chance to make it. If you’re going to keep another backup tackle they should add youth rather than age and my gut feeling is that Clark is going to have a good enough camp to stick.
First man off: M. Williams—It would be a great comeback story but I just don’t see it happening. Kudos to him for dropping the weight but he hasn’t played since 2005.
Spots taken so far: 34
Spots to go: 19
Follow Us On Twitter
- GM's history points to an edge rusher with Redskins' top pick
- What's the best case win total for the 2015 Redskins?
- 25 Redskins questions: What will the 2015 record be?
- Joe Theismann agrees with decision to name RG3 the starter
- Who were McCloughan's best late-round picks?
- Eagles chase for Mariota might not be over
- Report: Top WR visited the Redskins
- For Garçon, Redskins must improve in 2015 or "it's all bad"
- Redskins sending coaches to meet with top edge rusher
- OPEN THREAD: Cowboys star makes Super Bowl guarantee