Jul 26, 2009, 3:37 PM EDT
We’re just about there.
The beginning of the end of the longest offseason in sports comes on Thursday as the Redskins open up training camp. The pads will be popping at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Virginia. Eight practices will be open to the public:
Thurs., July 30, 8:30 a.m.
Fri., July 31, 8:30 a.m.
Sat., Aug. 1, 8:30 a.m.
Sun., Aug. 2, 8:30 a.m.
Tues., Aug. 4, 8:30 a.m.
Wed., Aug. 5, 8:30 a.m.
Thurs., Aug. 6, 8:30 a.m.
Sat., Aug. 8, 1:20 p.m. Fan Appreciation Day/ Intra-squad Scrimmage
As most of you know, Fan Appreciation Day was an absolute disaster last year with a traffic jam that made southbound I-95 on a Friday afternoon look like a walk in the park. Why they don’t hold that at FedEx Field or even at a local high school stadium—anyplace that’s, you know, adequate for such an event—is beyond me.
I also don’t understand why there aren’t some bleachers set up. There isn’t a natural viewing area; the area where the fans go is only slightly higher ground than the practice field. Anyone who can’t squeeze into the first row along the fence has a very tough time seeing anything.
But in the grand scheme of things these are relatively minor issues when compared to not having a general manager or allowing the offensive line to age all at once. So I guess we can deal with them and enjoy the return of football.
I’m working on a way to do a live blog from there with my Blackberry so stay tuned for how you’ll be able to participate in that. I’ll have plenty of other content from there, too.
If you want to plug the address of Redskins Park into your GPS or Google Maps, here it is:
21300 Redskins Park Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147
Follow Us On Twitter
- Brian Westbrook talks Alfred Morris, DeMarco Murray, and the Ravens
- Trent Murphy looking to become playmaker for Redskins
- How has McCoy's relationship with Cousins, RG3 changed?
- Hatcher: 'No extra emotions involved, just another game'
- Gruden: Riley will reclaim starting job when healthy
- Gruden: 'Odds are Colt will be the starter'
- Gruden brothers reunited on Monday night
- Dan Snyder once gave Jerry Jones some wild advice
- Keenan Robinson has encouraging words for Brian Orakpo
- Week 8 fantasy rankings: Don't sleep on Calvin Johnson