Jul 26, 2009, 5:19 AM EDT
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the specialists:
This isn’t worth a full-blown chart or extended analysis. The punter will be Hunter Smith. You have to wonder why the Colts let him go after he averaged over 44 yards a punt last year, with a net average of 38.8, but he’s likely to be an improvement over the myriad of punters the Redskins have employed recently.
Ethan Albright will be the long snapper. Period.
There is some actual competition for kicker Shaun Suisham, who had the worst field goal percentage in the NFL last year. Dave Rayner has been with five different teams in four NFL seasons. He was a kickoff specialist for the Colts in 2005 and the Packers’ full-time kicker in 2006. In his career he is 41 of 52 on field goals, a 71% average. Suisham’s league-worst percentage last year was 72.2% so Rayner will have to up his game if he’s going to challenge him.
I’d say there’s a 20% chance that Rayner can beat out Suisham.
Spots taken so far: 25
Spots to go: 28
Next: Offensive line
Follow Us On Twitter
- Brady objects to upheld suspension in Facebook statement
- CSNwashington.com's guide to Redskins training camp 2015
- Tandler talks Dale Jr., Skins training camp and team expectations
- NFL Network's Albert Breer explains the next steps for Brady & NFL
- Reiter has aspirations of making 53-man roster
- Patriots release statement regarding NFL's decision
- Darrell Green is the winner of the Redskins' 'Best of the Best' bracket
- Kam Chancellor pays tribute to Sean Taylor -- again
- NFL explains decision to uphold Tom Brady suspension
- OPEN THREAD: Who will 'Skins miss most - Helu, Chester or Polumbus?