Jul 26, 2009, 5:19 AM EST
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the specialists:
This isn’t worth a full-blown chart or extended analysis. The punter will be Hunter Smith. You have to wonder why the Colts let him go after he averaged over 44 yards a punt last year, with a net average of 38.8, but he’s likely to be an improvement over the myriad of punters the Redskins have employed recently.
Ethan Albright will be the long snapper. Period.
There is some actual competition for kicker Shaun Suisham, who had the worst field goal percentage in the NFL last year. Dave Rayner has been with five different teams in four NFL seasons. He was a kickoff specialist for the Colts in 2005 and the Packers’ full-time kicker in 2006. In his career he is 41 of 52 on field goals, a 71% average. Suisham’s league-worst percentage last year was 72.2% so Rayner will have to up his game if he’s going to challenge him.
I’d say there’s a 20% chance that Rayner can beat out Suisham.
Spots taken so far: 25
Spots to go: 28
Next: Offensive line
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins 2014 free agents: Who stays? Who goes?
- RG3 says he never feared losing job to Cousins
- Redskins injury report: T. Williams back at practice
- K. Shanahan: Relationship with RG3 remains "same"
- Can the Redskins keep Brian Orakpo?
- Despite troubles, RG3 says game is still fun
- Moss wants consistency from referees
- WATCH: RG3 won't sit out rest of the season
- OPEN THREAD: Should Redskins shut down Jordan Reed?
- Trent Williams says 'I feel fine', expects to play