Jul 26, 2009, 5:19 AM EST
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the specialists:
This isn’t worth a full-blown chart or extended analysis. The punter will be Hunter Smith. You have to wonder why the Colts let him go after he averaged over 44 yards a punt last year, with a net average of 38.8, but he’s likely to be an improvement over the myriad of punters the Redskins have employed recently.
Ethan Albright will be the long snapper. Period.
There is some actual competition for kicker Shaun Suisham, who had the worst field goal percentage in the NFL last year. Dave Rayner has been with five different teams in four NFL seasons. He was a kickoff specialist for the Colts in 2005 and the Packers’ full-time kicker in 2006. In his career he is 41 of 52 on field goals, a 71% average. Suisham’s league-worst percentage last year was 72.2% so Rayner will have to up his game if he’s going to challenge him.
I’d say there’s a 20% chance that Rayner can beat out Suisham.
Spots taken so far: 25
Spots to go: 28
Next: Offensive line
Follow Us On Twitter
- NFL says two penalties on Breeland should not have been called
- Report: Vick says playing for Skins would be a dream come true
- Tarik El-Bashir and Clifton Brown talk Ravens, Redskins
- Hines Ward talks RG3, Ravens and Johnny Football
- DeSean Jackson says he's over the Eagles
- Gruden likes the Redskins 'core' of players
- Redskins' Gruden thinks what he says about RG3 gets "twisted"
- Jordan Reed misses practices for child's birth
- 2015 NFL mock draft: Wish list shouldn't start with Winston, Mariota
- Trent Williams, Jason Hatcher sidelined Wednesday