Jul 21, 2009, 4:05 PM EDT
Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the wide receivers:
Who’s here Now: (10) Marques Hagans, Keith Eloi, Marko Mitchell, Antwaan Randle El, Santana Moss, Trent Shelton, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Homas, Jaison Williams, Roydell Williams
How many will stick: 5
Starters: Moss and Randle El–It’s likely that the Redskins frequently will start with three wide receivers with Kelly or Thomas wide with Moss and Randle El in the slot.
Solid backups: Thomas and Kelly. After lost rookie seasons the Redskins desperately need one or both of them to have breakout seasons
Last man on: Mitchell–You can’t teach speed and Mitchell brings a lot of it. He runs a 4.46 in the 40 and he was a big-play man at Nevada. He needs to work on his route running–as in he has to learn something besides running as fast as he can in a straight line downfield–but he should be able to do that during practice while remaining inactive on game days.
First man off: Hagans–He could have the kind of preseason that Billy McMullen did last year. McMullen, who had bounced around with a few different teams, caught everything that was thrown at him during the exhibition season. But, when it came down to it, he was what he’s always been. Hagans has the experience to put on a good show but the Redskins already have a 5-10 former college QB playing receiver in Randle El. One is the absolute limit.
Spots taken so far: 8
- Wide Receiver–5
Spots to go: 45
Next: Defensive line
Follow Us On Twitter
- After overcoming 6th heart surgery, Redskins keep promise to boy
- DeAngelo Hall 'trying to be like Mamba' coming off Achilles tear
- Redskins' Gruden sees RG3 in a 'steady climb'
- Redskins get good news on David Amerson's injury
- Redskins’ McCloughan: Opponents 'are going to be sore'
- Hall sets record straight on pizza-centric torn Achilles story
- Eagles lose linebacker to torn ACL for second straight year
- Gruden on Griffin: 'I feel like he's on a steady climb'
- Trent Williams contract talks still ongoing
- Redskins CB David Amerson suffers possible shoulder injury