53: The Wide Receivers

Jul 21, 2009, 4:05 PM EDT

Comments Off

Between now and the start of training camp I’ll be making my predictions about who will be on the final 53-man roster for the Washington Redskins–who’s there, who’s in, who’s on the bubble, and who’s out. The predicted roster will be revised and updated as preseason events warrant. Today, the wide receivers:

Who’s here Now: (10) Marques Hagans, Keith Eloi, Marko Mitchell, Antwaan Randle El, Santana Moss, Trent Shelton, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Homas, Jaison Williams, Roydell Williams

How many will stick: 5

Starters: Moss and Randle El–It’s likely that the Redskins frequently will start with three wide receivers with Kelly or Thomas wide with Moss and Randle El in the slot.

Solid backups: Thomas and Kelly. After lost rookie seasons the Redskins desperately need one or both of them to have breakout seasons

Last man on: Mitchell–You can’t teach speed and Mitchell brings a lot of it. He runs a 4.46 in the 40 and he was a big-play man at Nevada. He needs to work on his route running–as in he has to learn something besides running as fast as he can in a straight line downfield–but he should be able to do that during practice while remaining inactive on game days.

First man off: Hagans–He could have the kind of preseason that Billy McMullen did last year. McMullen, who had bounced around with a few different teams, caught everything that was thrown at him during the exhibition season. But, when it came down to it, he was what he’s always been. Hagans has the experience to put on a good show but the Redskins already have a 5-10 former college QB playing receiver in Randle El. One is the absolute limit.

Spots taken so far: 8

Spots to go: 45

Next: Defensive line

1. Steve in TN - Jul 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM

If RoyDell can't make this squad he's done in this league.

2. fastwb - Jul 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the assumption that they will keep only 5 WRs. The preseason will determine who makes it after Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly. There just hasn't been enough to differentiate the rest so far. A lot may come down to their impact on special teams. How many teams don't carry any WRs that are impact special teamers? I sincerely hope someone else handles PR duties this year. Is it one of these guys? Probably not, hopefully one of the new RBs. Well, maybe they will only keep 5 WRs but it seems a shame that with the skill-set inherent to the position that there isn't an impact player there for Teams.

3. Joe in Raleigh - Jul 22, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Not keeping McMullen was a mistake — and I’m not just saying that because I liked him at UVA. We were sorely in need of a player that could catch tough passes last season and no one on the roster was up to the task.

I like a veteran guy for the 5th spot just in case the 2 second year guys don’t pan out.

4. Rich - Jul 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

@Joe, they did have Thrash as the veteran fifth guy who turned out to be the third guy. I liked MuMullen too despite the fact that he was a Cav :-)

@fastwb, I think that ARE will end up returning punts. I think what’s preventing the team from keeping six WR’s is the fact that Albright is strictly a long snapper and can’t back up on the O-line even in an emergency. That sucks up a roster spot.

5. Rich - Jul 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Just FYI, folks, only the first comment you make here at the new will have to be approved. After that you are free to post at will.